Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oil change...

mattp41

Country Flag
great_britain
hi newly got a 95 and want to do a oil and filter change.. runs grate and has 17000 miles on it, no leaks, do i go for 15/40 or 10/40?? and what is the correct torque for the sump bolt? thanks matt

Hi

Go for a decent quality 10w/40 semi-synthetic.

I dont know the torque setting, basically hand tight then a slight snick on the spanner. If it doesnt leak its fine :)

Worth changing the front and rear diff oils as well, rear is very simple, front is a bit of a faff as you need to remove the underplate and have to be a bit quadruple jointed!

Is it a Prado, if so use semi-synth diff oil with lsd additive, you can put that in the front as well.

Pete

Make sure you can undo the fill plug before you drain the diffs.

Roughtrax have an offer on at the second with Toyota 10/40. I bought 20 litres. Couldn't resist really. Not because I feel it's better than anything else but at the price it was significantly less than even my local parts warehouse.

Also Halfords have an offer on there own brand 10/40 semi synthetic, buy 5 litres and get the next 5 litres half price. so 10 litres works out £32.98

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Personally i always use the Magnatec in my LC and this comes up on offer in halfrauds quite often so i stock up when it does.

I got 20L for £54. Frank would be proud. I don't think I have ever bought genuine Toyota oil before. I'm guessing they have their own well and everything.

Halfords do some bonkers offers sometimes. You just have to check their sire regularly

4L of Carlube Triple R 10/40 SS £7.75 (inc vat) from JTF wholesale when I changed mine in October. That's the cheapest I've ever seen it. Just a case of being in the right place at the right time to catch these deals. When I last bought Toyota branded oil 3 or 4 years ago it was Mobil according to the parts guy.

Back