Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Filter Sizes

Dan W

Garage
Hello everyone, I'm pretty sure I'm over thinking this but.....
I have a FZJ80, ordered oil filter from Toyota. Came to change it and old filter is about three times bigger than new one. Box for new filter says it's for 96 vehicles onwards. Mines a 95. Rang Toyota, they say it's the right part just been improved.
Soooooo.....
Go on ih8mud. They say the old one has paper internals, new smaller one has synthetic, therfore better. But only if made in Japan, if made anywhere else it will have paper internals and is rubbish.
So where is mine made?
China.

So could any kind soul tell me if it's probably just and not to worry or can they recommend a better one from somewhere else?
Thanks.

So are you saying the new one is 3 times smaller than the existing one?

Are we talking length here or diameter?

So are you saying the new one is 3 times smaller than the existing one?

Are we talking length here or diameter?

I do sometimes exaggerate sizes, that's why I bought a big vehicle :p
It may not be quite that big a difference but I'd say it's still quite substantial in both the length and girth :-S
When I'm feeling a bit better I'll try and take a picture of them both. I just don't want to take the old one off until I'm sure I've got the right replacement.

Okay, I've been release from the hospital so I'd better get on with this. As promised here's the pictures. I bet if you worked out the capacity the old one wouldn't be far off three times as big as the new one.

DSC_0230_zpsa40a9d41.jpg

DSC_0232_zpsd6d74888.jpg

Mine was the same, big filter fitted and new one was smaller. Genuine filter and no issues with it.

Back