Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil from the rear oilseal of the crankshaft?

Bor S

Today I was at the dealer for my annual APK (MOT ?) The car was on a bridge and I could walk around under the car.
I saw quite a bit off oil dripping from the back of the engine and I was a bit surprised. I have bin under the car every now and then but I did not notice it earlier.
It came from between the gearbox (auto) and the engine. I think I is the rear oil seal from the crankshaft.
I know this happens with some older models Landcruisers , but I never read something about this happening to a Prado. Does anyone know if this is also common to a Prado 95 V6? It has about 170.000 km on it.

Thanks Bor

Were you able to pinpoint the source exactly?

At the back of the head is a semi-circular insert which allows a socket to be applied when removing the camshaft - on my old LJ this wasnt sealed and allowed oil to run down the back, but when I got under it I came to the conclusion that the main oil seal between gearbox and block wasnt sealing either, so the whole back end of the block was thick with old oil/crud.

I know its a different engine, but the reason both were letting oil by was because the engine had obviously been out and put back in without using new gaskets/seals, so poor workmanship combined with cheap parts!

I know that these trucks are well built, but they are getting older, and age related issues will, I think, start to become more common and publicised (ie the rad issue on auto's), I have less faith in reputation now.

Cheers

Pete

Pete, I could not pinpoint it exactly.
I tried to clean the underside of the motor with brakecleaner. An just drove the car for 15 min. There is some new oil that seems to come from the small hole at the rear botom of cluth housing/rear of the engineblok.

The only place I can think of is that is must come from the crankshaft.
rear+of+engineblok.jpg

The picture isn't that clear, but it looks like the oil is coming from on front of the bell housing.

Are there any leaks from the rocker cover/back of the engine - this flows down the back of the block to where you say.

Thank for the tip Jjulian,
Just checked the rest of the engine. There is no oil above 1/2 the bell house. The back of the engine is clean and dry, no oil coming from there.
The oil seems to come from the the seam from the bell house and the gearbox, and out of the underside of the bell house.
The picture is taken from the engine side, on the top the belly pan of the motor, than bell house and under that the the belly pan of the autogearbox.
also just looked between the steel plate into the bell house, oil around anywhere in there, but i can not see the seal. It is on the other side of the steel plate.
It is always hard to see were the oil come from. The airflow under the car spreads it around.
I am sure it is motor oil. It has not the smell of gearboxoil/atf.

Back