Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Pressure

yogi

Garage
Country Flag
ireland
So I was looking at a nice 80 series, 1996manual. Seemed nice and clean, couldn't find any major problems, diff locks worked, drove fine, only thing not working was the aircon clutch, but I would say that was just low pressure so not too worried. My only concern was the oil pressure. At idle, it was reading just below 1, then on acceleration and driving it remained pretty steadily just above 1, say about 1 and 1/8 or 1 and 1/4 at the very most. Should that be a concern on these? |I have to say the only other cars I have around the place that have oil pressure gauges are 123 series mercedes, and these tend to idle around 1 on cold idle and on hard rev go to about 2 or even up towards 3. Actually started a parts one here today just to double check that and it was the case. Am I worrying needlessly or should I be concerned about the engine??:icon-confused::icon-confused::icon-confused:

I have a '93 12v manual. On startup the oil pressure sits between 2nd and 3rd mark until it warms up and then drops to between 1st and 2nd mark until you drive it in which case it rises again towards the 3rd mark. Generally you would expect the pressure to be higher when cold. best thing is to check the oil level first of all and determine if the correct grade of oil is in there. Your only way to be sure is to use an ext oil pressure guage. How many miles on the said truck?

about 120k, no documented history, but just from looking at cars for a long time, it doesn't look clocked. Not over much wear on the gearstick, wheel pedals etc, you know yourself.

80 series oil pressure gauges are notoriously unreliable and pretty much worthless until you have got used to what the one in your truck usually reads.

One would be inclined to think that if the miles are genuine then there is a good chance that the engine is ok given the reputation. I guess there is only so much you can check until you actually own it though. I'd buy it and if it doesn't please you, then paint it blue and sell it to chris!

I have a '93 12v manual. On startup the oil pressure sits between 2nd and 3rd mark until it warms up and then drops to between 1st and 2nd mark until you drive it in which case it rises again towards the 3rd mark. Generally you would expect the pressure to be higher when cold. best thing is to check the oil level first of all and determine if the correct grade of oil is in there. Your only way to be sure is to use an ext oil pressure guage. How many miles on the said truck?
Had something similar, and it turned out to be the oil pressure relief valve. Replaced it and now reads fine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Arf arf. Wise guy. Mine is spot on ; it reads zero all of the time. It's never worked and I have swapped the sender twice and the dash gauge

Then I bought a proper tester plugged it in and the pressure was bang on the money

Jon once said to me, if there wasn't a gauge just the light you wouldn't give it another thought

C

Mine generally reads fairly low most of the time although there are days that it seems to run higher. I was a little concerned to begin with but did a search and realised the general consensus is that 80 OP gauges are crap,I've not worried about it since. If it suddenly drops off some more Ill start to worry!

There'a a lot to be said for having no 'worry' gauges. My Disco had just an oil warning light and a water temp gauge. No OP, boost or EGT gauges etc and I thrashed that up and down the motorway in in 30 deg heat towing a large caravan without even thinking about pressures or temps and it never missed a beat.

I have the original OP gauge which saved my engine. My OP was dropping rapidly and when I got home I checked the oil level. Miles too high WTF. Then I realised why the engine had been difficult to start..........leaking injector spill pipe under the cam cover causing diesel to pour into the sump. I still have the old oil and it is as thin as brake fluid. Like a Dunce I used old washers on the tops of the injectors instead of new ones. Still if this story helps anyone it was worth it.

Frank

Back