Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil pressure....

No oil pressure gauge, no big deal IMO and why? As a slowly falling gauge due to a leaking oil filter for example, is unlikely to be noticed by the typical driver, a sudden red light OTH would, or at least it should. Keeping in mind the oil pressure light on a typical car is set at 4 psi........that's right FOUR!

A gauge correctly calibrated on the other hand would show an unusually low pressure, if by chance you do notice the low reading, and you pull over to investigate, it may save you a new engine? I have both, the oil pressure light set at IIRC 21 psi? There is also a buzzer in line with the light, a disable switch stops it being annoying when working with the ignition on and engine not running.

I have had two vehicles with no temperature gauge just an 'idiot' light, one was a Renault Master LWB, the overheating light came on just as steam came pouring out under the bonnet, a hose had failed, simple repair eh? Sure was, after removing the engine and removing the cylinder head, pistons and liners. More or less a complete rebuild, now........what if I had a temp gauge, would I have seen it rising....possible?

Gauges when working properly, and if the information they provide is interpreted correctly a lot of grief, time and expenditure could be avoided, I would prefer a light though.

Now something I mentioned way back but unsure if it got picked up? Did you know that if your oil level is down by 1 litre, you will not get a low level light? So what I hear you say?

What if I now tell you that under arduous driving conditions that is low enough to cause air to be drawn into the oil pickup, now that should have your attention, as impossible as this sounds it's true.

Before a particular run the engine oil according to 'my' schedule was due a change and the level was down on the stick, probably not the aforementioned litre, that would be picked up at service time.

I was driving off road quite fast, no risk of an accident but the 80 was being thrown about, I climbed a hump and swung hard left the warning buzzer sounded momentarily, the buzzer is tied into multiple systems, so a glance at the dashboard was the natural thing to do, and I just caught the oil pressure light as it went out and the buzzer stopped. I pulled over let the engine idle while I looked for leaks, nothing out of the ordinary, switched off and checked the level and found no change from the previous check.

A gauge would not have reacted to that sudden albeit brief moment, The light and buzzer did, so a worthwhile mod IMO....and IME. Now, how many of you have been offloading and negotiating a difficult course whilst watching the dashboard?

If you are not interested in having accurate gauges then fit an idiot light.

Regards

Dave

Have to agree with that Chris, the early 80 dash is quite nice to look at IMO, drilling holes in it is not my thing. That is why I made the effort to calibrate ALL of my gauges, a bit OCD but hey, why not?

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Proof of excessive OCD tendency. Built from the gear selector used on auto 80's, (thanks Karl), fits in the usual place between the main dials on my manual 80.

Dash insert.png
Status indicator.JPG

Regards

Dave

So what do all the lights represent Dave, some are obvious but one or two there have me confused.

So what do all the lights represent Dave, some are obvious but one or two there have me confused.

From top to bottom:

Buzzer is disabled, as mentioned there are times with ignition on but engjne not running (no oil pressure for example), when the warning buzzer is disabled this flashes.

Engjne cooling fan disabled, ideal for deep water crossings, this flashes.

Oil pressure below 21 psi, flashes and buzzer.

Engjne running hotter than it should be, flashes and buzzer.

Radiator level low, flashes and buzzer.

Second speed of engjne cooling fan activated.

First speed of engjne cooling fan activated.

So in general I see/hear the oil pressure warning whenever starting, the second speed of the cooling fan is tied into the AC trinary switch so see this go on and off whenever stationary with AC on.

Climbing a long hill will bring on the green slow speed warning.

LED's presently being put in so the colours are less washed out, the yellow is now orange as originally planned, also a reduction in fan operating components being done as well.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks good Dave, bound to impress both those who know these cars and those who don't, very personalized instrument cluster.
And apologies for the thread hijack.

Last edited:
Is there a warning light to tell you that you have too many warning lights Dave?

Maybe OCD but that's a very tidy piece of work as always. BTW I think your timing belt needs changing :icon-biggrin:

Looks good Dave, bound to impress both those who know these cars and those who don't, very personalized instrument cluster.

Thanks for that, I have been asked if it was an option on 80's as it has not been seen before and it looks factory.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Is there a warning light to tell you that you have too many warning lights Dave?

Maybe OCD but that's a very tidy piece of work as always. BTW I think your timing belt needs changing :icon-biggrin:

Thanks Chris, no warning of warning lights but, I do have a bigger alternator to make them all work :D

Timing belt is more OCD, changed it at about 60,000 and waited for it to light up to make sure it worked!

Regards

Dave

....and fuel filter needs draining, turbos over boosting,alternators not charging, oil levels low and the hand brake is seized on.. nooooooo!

Damn these warning lights!

looks good dave, can see youve thrown some time at it.

....and fuel filter needs draining, turbos over boosting,alternators not charging, oil levels low and the hand brake is seized on.. nooooooo!

Damn these warning lights!

looks good dave, can see youve thrown some time at it.

Cheers, it took some time getting the prints done, each time I rang to check on progress the price had gone up, end result is good though, I installed it all last year, now just fettling to get the colours right, well right for me,

Regards

Dave

My friggin' 'T' belt warning light won't reset, now where's the sense in that?

Sorry truck, I know you're 22 years old, but the button has only been pressed 5 times, and it's broken...

Pah... :?

The more 'worry' gauges you have the more you worry. My old Disco had a water temp gauge and that was it. No OP, EGT or boost gauges etc and I gave that some stick towing the boat up the motorway to Scotland and back numerous times without a care in the world. The LC has EGT, boost and a pipe fed oil gauge (fitted temp years ago before I realised the low OP was down to a knackered sender). Just to put things in perspective the min hot OP on the 1HD-FT is 4.3 psi at idle and 36-87 psi at 3000rpm. Obviously these engines do not need really high OP for reliability and longevity.

Back