Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK, barking maybe, but what about a manual petrol 80?

Got 35's planned for mine, will let you know how bad the mpg is lol.
Don't have lpg and no plans for it.

Oh nothing wrong with LPG itself Ben, but it defeats the object. The reason petrols are so cheap is because they guzzle the fuel. So you buy one, then spend £1500 on a gas kit, then a rear wheel carrier, lose the space under the floor to a tank which holds enough gas to do 4 miles, can't find anywhere to fill up again, so drive the rest of the way on petrol. OK OK, I can sense the hate mail coming in. Just making a point. All I am looking at is a way to try and make a petrol a bit more econimical so that it's worth buying one without regret. If there were loads of manual 24v's out there we wouldn't be having this conversation. But there aren't so I'm exploring alternatives.

BUT, it is NOT only about mpg. The difference between a spirit burner and an oil smoker is about 10p per mile. Over a 5k year, that's £500. Given that there are very tasty late model petrol 80s out there for £3500 and some passable 24v stick shifts for £6k you've 5 years motoring before it's even an issue. However, sticking the 35"s on there is going to not only eat into that but also could be marginal on the gearing front in relation to driveability. Having a manual box dropped in could give that flexibility back.

OK so buy a petrol with a gas kit ALREADY installed? You can, but then they are nearly the price of a 24v so you've lost the advantage plus you have no provenance on the gas kit and how well it runs.

It's all a balance. Tidy 24v late model at the right price appears then it's cash on the bonnet and job done and off to the nearest diesel pump. Thought that the one in Ormskirk was going to be it. But it was a total dog.

Chris

PS - Nice one Gary!

lose the space under the floor to a tank which holds enough gas to do 4 miles, can't find anywhere to fill up again, so drive the rest of the way on petrol. OK OK, I can sense the hate mail coming in. OK so buy a petrol with a gas kit ALREADY installed? You can, but then they are nearly the price of a 24v so you've lost the advantage plus you have no provenance on the gas kit and how well it runs.
Chris

PS - Nice one Gary!
Not a hate mail Chris, but I can get 200/250 miles from a tank of gas, and my petrol/LPG 80 cost me £2400 so they are out there if you're lucky enough to find one. :thumbup:

Now that does make sense Chas.

Incidentally how big is the tank? ie what are you using to do 200/250 miles. 50 miles difference is quite a bit though. Why is it 200 sometimes and then 250? I think that's better range than I have heard of from most.

Chris

Now that does make sense Chas.

Incidentally how big is the tank? ie what are you using to do 200/250 miles. 50 miles difference is quite a bit though. Why is it 200 sometimes and then 250? I think that's better range than I have heard of from most.

Chris
I think it must be a 100ltr tank, when I fill it from empty it will take 80ltr, it varies between 200/250 depending on how I drive it, on a long run it'll do more if it's mostly motorway.

I think an estimate of 15mpg when running on LPG and 18mpg on Petrol for 4.5EFi Auto, is about right. That is assuming you're running in standard trim.

Start making changes, such as 35"s and it's only going downhill I'm afraid.......

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think an estimate of 15mpg when running on LPG and 18mpg on Petrol for 4.5EFi Auto, is about right. That is assuming you're running in standard trim.

Start making changes, such as 35"s and it's only going downhill I'm afraid.......
I'm getting about 14.5 on gas and 15.5 on petrol, everything is standard apart from winch bumper (no winch) and rear bumper/wheel carrier.

That works out between about 11 to 14 Chas, yes. So low 20p's per mile which really is worth having. But if it drops to around 10mpg on gas you are seriously into the same kind of cost per mile as a diesel at around 32p. When LPG was 36p per litre gas was a real winner, but I see most lpg at around 76 pence now. You did get a great deal getting yours Chas, but can see that on gas, doing 10 or 11 mpg at 76p/lit you may as well be in a diesel doing 19 mpg at £1.39 / lit. Factor in fitting the kit if you don't have one and it doesn't make sense any more.

Chad, adding 35's is fine if you re-gear, which is what all of this is about really. No intention of sticking them straight onto a std petrol. I'm not completely nuts. Yet.

Chris

it must do..... a auto would be worse on fuel

According to Chris Scott, Sahara Overland, Page 81 "Unless you are going for a really radical expedition through sustained sand dunes, I would go for an automatic. ....out of the dunes, around 10/20% more economical than a manual HJ61 which itself sets a benchmark. At one point, an 80 I was travelling with achieved an incredible 40 mpg (or 11.5kpl) while a Tdi Defender delivered 25mpg."

Imtiaz

Last edited:
Chad, adding 35's is fine if you re-gear, which is what all of this is about really. No intention of sticking them straight onto a std petrol. I'm not completely nuts. Yet.

Chris

Must be just me who's nuts then lol.

Tbh I never bought mine expecting great mpg, after running a modded 3.1 trooper that at best on a good day with wind behind it would get 17mpg, then a 3.0 that returned 23mpg.

Depending on what journeys doing and if the missus is with me or not, get any thing from about 12 to 18 ish mpg.
Oddly tho when I picked it up and drove home (352 miles) did it in just over 3/4 of a tank! Was a steady drive tho.

According to Chris Scott, Sahara Overland, Page 81 "Unless you are going for a really radical expedition through sustained sand dunes, I would go for an automatic. ....out of the dunes, around 10/20% more economical than a manual HJ61 which itself sets a benchmark. At one point, an 80 I was travelling with achieved an incredible 40 mpg (or 11.5kpl) while a Tdi Defender delivered 25mpg."

Imtiaz
I stand corrected , I just would of thought it would be the other way round as that is the general rule of thumb ! Hats off to you for proving it! :icon-cool::clap:

I ve often thought about this replacing the auto with a manual box as I ve done a total switch on a Volvo I used to have with success,, there was some mention on another forum that its possible to put in a 3.0 hilux engine/box in!!, but a lot of work, other options to save on mpg possibly to have electric fan instead of vicious and replace the power steering pump with an electric one from a modern car? Any thoughts on the last two if they would make a different?

Replacing a good working viscous fan with electric fans will gain you nothing. Even if you saved 1 MPG its a lot of miles to recover the cost of the fans. In my view electric fans are one of the great myths of motoring. I know most modern cars use them but that's as much about packaging constraints as anything.

I would think the same would apply to the power steering too.

Just to add my 2p worth, I've had 2 LPG/petrol 80's. I always always check mpg and my figures for both cars (both low mileage) 11-12 mpg on gas and 16-18 on petrol. I could only get 69-70l of gas in at once (90 litre tank) which would take me 170 -180 miles .Mind you they were great to drive, powerful and quiet (and automatic) and has said before, in great condition compared with a twice the price diesel version. If I could afford it, I would run a petrol version all the time.
Anyway Chris, going back to the original point of the post, I don't think the effort of changing an auto to a manual would be worth the gain (if any) with the work involved and the additional parts to buy ( prop shafts, flywheel, clutch, pedal assembly etc etc) even if you start with your brand new box.
There have been a couple of manual petrol 80's for sale on e-Bay in the last couple of years,( one in Sheffield) I guess they were Aussie imports, and they didn't make much money. That may be an avenue to consider.

Andy

Guess that means I could let you have the manual box them Andy .....

Have to say 17 to 18 on petrol is very attractive. But doesn't get over the 35" tyre issue.

C

Hi, what's the issue with an auto? for my money the auto is far superior to manual off road and more comfortable on road, I'm all for the petrol model but if you want economy how about one with a gas kit fitted, power and economy, that sounds nice!

Hi Mettisse. Thanks for the contribution, but it's perhaps best to read the whole thread right through. This isn't really a 'which is best' thread. Nor is it a thread about LPG, I'm afraid.

It's really about what's the best way to preserve any kind of sensible economy in a petrol with 35" tyres given that re gearing the diffs isn't cheap nor easy. Fitting a manual box might address those points. But as has been pointed out it's not that easy.

Who said this was going off road anyway? This is for best. Sunday only cruising or so I have told the current Mrs Chris.

Hey, Mr Rubie, auto is far superior off road to a manual. Now what do you say to that? :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't you have a hill named after you or something?

Chris

Hey, Mr Rubie, auto is far superior off road to a manual. Now what do you say to that? :lol::lol::lol:

Didn't you have a hill named after you or something?

It is very much down to the individual in my opinion. I have had both manual and auto 80s and have to say I much prefer a manual off road. I'm sure there is nothing in the fact that the first car ever to make it up the hill in question was a manual :lol:

Ian

Yes, looking back, probably just about any car would have made it up that hill. Manual or Auto. You're probably right Ian.

Actually I prefer an auto off road and under most conditions it doesn't matter how the wheels on an 80 are driven as long as they are driven. But there are times when there's perhaps nothing quite like being utterly in control of the shift lever. Even if it does pop out of 1st occasionally. I do miss the engine braking that you get on the manual. especially in reverse. It's a bit of a fairground ride at times.

Back