Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old coolant - down the drain or will it kill polar bears?

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Not much else to add, can it be chucked down the drain or do I need to take it to the tip?

Re: Old coolant - down the drain or will it kill polar bears

I'm pretty sure it will need to go to the tip. Speaking of taking stuff to the tip, this has become a real ball ache at our local place. They have made it much bigger with a lot more "special" bins so you end up walking several miles back and forth otherwise you might get a bollocking for putting a loo roll in a kitchen roll bin, or a twiggy branch in the leafy bin... The next time I go I might take a packed lunch and some sunscreen.

To the tip young eco warrior...

Our tip has oil disposal facilities but I don't recall seeing anything for coolant so if you were in Stourbridge you might have to kick the bucket :mrgreen: I find a couple of those big 5 litre water bottles and a funnel work well for collecting coolant I intend to re-use.

I'll ask the local tip - I have to make my weekly trip there this weekend anyway.

I'll also ask Mr-T if he has an exchange programme ;)

my local tip now say i need a permit for my trailer which has made many trips to the tip before :evil: best part is they dont want fly tipping but they make it so hard to bin you crap

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

x_shaun said:
my local tip now say i need a permit for my trailer which has made many trips to the tip before :evil: best part is they dont want fly tipping but they make it so hard to bin you crap

I annoyed them with their silly rules. I had 10 bags of rubble. The guy came up to me with authority that would scare a policeman and barked "You're only allowed 5 bags of rubble" to which I replied with a deadpan face "it's ok, I've only filled them half way each. that makes 5 full ones". He was actually stumped....

Crispin said:
I annoyed them with their silly rules. I had 10 bags of rubble. The guy came up to me with authority that would scare a policeman and barked "You're only allowed 5 bags of rubble" to which I replied with a deadpan face "it's ok, I've only filled them half way each. that makes 5 full ones". He was actually stumped....

Ah sooo funny :lol: :lol:

Surely down the drain will be fine if followed up with a running hose, but even without the hose :shifty: Think about all of the shower, bath, bog & kitchen cleaners, bleaches, detergents from dishwashers, washing machines & sinks, pizz, S417, toilet roll & lady rags not to mention all of the food waste :!: Get pouring m8 & don't give it a second thought :thumbup: :)

Oh make sure it's dark outside, just incase :lol: ;)

sae70 said:
Surely down the drain will be fine if followed up with a running hose, but even without the hose :shifty: Think about all of the shower, bath, bog & kitchen cleaners, bleaches, detergents from dishwashers, washing machines & sinks, pizz, S417, toilet roll & lady rags not to mention all of the food waste :!: Get pouring m8 & don't give it a second thought :thumbup: :)

Oh make sure it's dark outside, just incase :lol: ;)

Steven you do know that theres 2 types of drain dont you, being an ex tradesman? :naughty:

foul water- which is toilets and showers and baths etc. which obviously gets treated and processed.

and storm water- which usually goes straight into soak aways, rivers streams etc.

so foul waste such as antifreeze may be ok down your toilet, but not outside drains around the outside of the house or in the road. :)

Good point Ben :thumbup: So flush it down the bog then, is that what you're saying :?: :D

sounds about right to me. :thumbup:

Yeah, Polar Bears are screwed anyway. Now if it were Pandas, well that'd be different. Many pandas round your way?

See, its all good.

Chr.. I mean Gavin, of course

:? For Chrissake don't flush that muck down a bog: it's porbably illegal and it is toxic. It's a tip type product for safe disposal. Disposal instructions will be on the new packs anyway and your Toyo dealer should be able to take it.

So, Mr-T says never to throw it down the drain.
he did say if I bring it back to him he'll put it in his big tank for me :shhh:

Crispin said:
he did say if I bring it back to him he'll put it in his big tank for me
To sell on to the next man who wants pink coolant eh!!! :lol:

At least the polar bears can stand down :p

Don't know about upsetting polar bears - but I did swallow some 20+ years ago... (sucking out of a car - don't ask).

Hospital was phoned by a worried mum - and they said it had to be counteracted with.... wait for it... alcohol! :thumbup:

There I was at 13... 10am... with a bottle of JD in my hand on doctors orders. Happy days!

Point is I lived. No abnormal effects. Can use a tape measure and everything! :whistle:

So if you flush it... maybe send some girly whisky down too for the bears to party with? :dance:

No really.... probably shouldn't flush it. But I don't know.

i cant see anything wrong with flushing it down the toilet. it cant be any worse than bleach and other chemicals in cleaning products that get flushed! :think:

I do know that bleach is so reactive that it is entirely used up (and reverts back to salt water) by the time it hits open water.

Useless fact. Just thought I'd share.

Back