Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Old truck pics.

Question Roger, you mentioned the Series I was 56", was that reference to the wheelbase? If so, that's mighty short :lol: AFAIK, the early Series I was 80" and later 86" followed by 88" :think:

(with 107" and later 109" Station Wagon/Truck-cab).

Just askin'...

Haha - yes - bit of a typo there, a combination of 1956 and 86"............................ thats my excuse

Haha - yes - bit of a typo there, a combination of 1956 and 86"............................ thats my excuse

:lol: thought you'd shortened it...

short mini.jpg
shorter.jpg

Top of this thread a red Disco and the words 'it all started'

Well for me it all started with this red Disco. 3 and a half years with it. 40000 miles in it! It had to go!
IMG_2560.JPG

A brief stint in this Subaru. i.e 3weeks, before I realised 17mpg and very limited load carrying might be a problem!
IMG_2561.JPG

So with a panic buy I bought this Mitsubishi . Ran for 2 and half years, 22/23mpg, 22000 miles in it, slow, uncomfortable, sold it on to fund a van
IMG_1905.JPG

Which I never bought. Why get what you don't want?
So finally I have this! A car I actually want, hooray!!
IMG_2551.JPG

Last edited:
1986 Suzuki SJ413. This is the only pic I could find of it! Never used it of road but had some oversize AT type tyres on it and I never got stuck in some seriously bad snowfalls despite no fancy transmission or difflocks.

Scan 1.jpeg

1989 Sierra Ghia 2.9i 4x4. Bought it with a cracked block and sourced a good used engine, completely rebuilt it with a 'fast road' cam. The wheels were genuine Cosworth Sierra which I sold for almost the cost of some new brand TSW Hockenheim R's and 215 low profile tyres. Went like SOAS and handled pretty well for a large estate but was crap in snow despite the fluid coupled centre diff. Scan 2.jpeg

1994 Disco 300Tdi. Again, never offroaded it but very nice to drive, if a bit slow but had a few build quality issues. The panel gaps were all over the place. P4160028.JPG

..and finally to the LC bought over 11 years ago. Never kept a car this long before. DSC_5859.JPG

Last edited:
00000111.JPG

My XJ, 3.5" lift, 31s, etc... good truck. Known as "El" (as in "El Jeepo").

00000158.JPG

At Seven Sisters, I think....

IMG_1128.jpg

Landy Twins in Iceland - mine was on the right above - "Lemmy" (old school heavy metal) - I swear that truck ran on witchcraft - one of the most reliable 4x4s I've owned...

IMG_3441.JPG

My 712M - ace truck, but not very family-friendly - this one got sold over the interweb to a guy in Australia.

Quite a few others... will post when I get a chance.

With Wugg we got into overland travel, with memorable trips to Pyrenees, Alps and Morocco

View attachment 108040

View attachment 108041

After 11 years we swapped the subaru we bought new in 2002 for a second hand newer forester, the newer one being the petrol XT with turbocharger. A much nicer car with sub 6-second 0-60 (the old non-turbo car too around 11 seconds to hit 60)
View attachment 108042

Is that a Kari-Tek boat rack on the Subaru? One of my best mates back in the UK's relatives own Kari-Tek

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Picture popped up on the Facebook memories today from 7 years ago today, not the best quality but iirc it was about 2am at work

FB_IMG_1480773958368.jpg

The supposedly indestructible isuzu 3.1 td lol.
It lost power in Wales and decided to use more oil then diesel.
Found most of a piston skirt in the sump! Still drove home to york

Back