Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OME spring rates and suggestions

Well, a very useful conversation with Paul at WC4x4 and looks like a set of Ironman will be mine. I'd be daft not to take the saving over OME for a start. But the set up sound just what I need for my particular scenario.
That's eased the budget a little

Chris

Yip, that's how I figured it too! Even if you need to upgrade the rear springs to something a little heavier duty, the cost isn't silly and you could sell your virtually unused springs to recoup some £££. Hell, replace front and rear and you're still not blowing a huge chunk of money.
Did you get caster correction bushes too? What are you thinking on that score?

Paul says unlikely to really need CC on that set up, bit t try it and see first. He reckons it should be fine. So I shall do as the man says.

Chris

It'll all depend on the wear of the OEM bushes I guess. I haven't done the CC bushes on mine yet - I did get them along with the kit. So far it drives ok without them, better than I expected but the steering is a bit light and sharp. Not too bad for now but I expect I'll change them over at some point. My caster was barely on the borderline before the lift, so I must be out of spec now :roll:
As Paul indicated, definitely possible to live with the lift without the CC ;) Smart guy that Paul :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Hi Chris

Found mine too light at the front. i did get used to it, much happier now the cc bushes fitted. drives like it used to before the lift.

maybe i should get the cc bushes done then...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
on a wet day (that'll be a challenge then :roll: ) at 50 or 60 put your tyres on the white line in the middle of the road and you'll know if you need cc ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

Not saying I won't - just saying that I shall follow his advice and try it first. CC makes sense. But I have to plan the work and the budget. If it will wait until I have tried it and lived, then good news.

Chris

I think you're ok with your plan here! No need to have a set of unused, unneeded CC bushes growing old on your shelf :roll:

If I need them, I shall make you an offer!

Chris

:lol: I think I'll end up using mine.

Have you looked into doing the "slotted washer" mod? There are some schools of thought that CC bushes can cause some of the mountings to crack off the axle. :o Quite a few examples of this happening in SA and Les had this recently. The slotted washer mod apparently does not cause this problem.[I don't fully get the physics of why one CC route allegedly causes problems and the other doesn't but I'll think about it some more]

Not 100% clear on how this mod works but the gist of it, I think, is to slot the holes of the bracket holding the front radius arm bolts to allow for "manual" adjustment to correct caster, and then welding washers in position to permanently locate the bolts in the correct place. If you do this mod, you can stick with OEM bushes.
As you're handy with a welder and are not averse to the odd bit of tinkering, this might be a route to consider if you decide you need to correct the caster. :cool: No CC bushes needed then!

Cheers,

I have a set of Slee castor correction plates here, just waiting to be fitted. But it drives fine as it is.

Paul

Presume those are for a big lift/big caster correction, Paul?

Gav is also due to install CC plates some time :roll: :lol:

Well they came off of Jons 80, when I had the axles. Mine has about 3" lift and I feel I do not need them, I have been driving it like this for over 2 years!

Paul

For small lifts I would do the washer mod rather than cc bush's I think. I think the problem with the CC bush's is that because they're eccentric there is less bush to flex in some directions, therefore less movement in the bush so more force on the mountings probably delivered harshly. The slotted washer mod lets you keep OEM or whatever bush's you like and is nice and simple. Caster plates are for bigger lifts, probably about 4" minimum, 5" optimal.

I have the cc plates that came with the +4 Ironman kit all fitted up but because the OEM bushes were so worn, it wasn't good... The rear steering arm clashed with the trailing arms & even from the photos, JW suggested there was too much cc...

The guys at WC gave me a set of the cc bushes to try but I don't think I have configured them correctly & now have gone too far the other way. I bought the Ironman poly bush kit at the same time so intend to try those & see what happens...

Jon,
With the washer mod, do you change the mounts for both of the 2 front bolts (like the CC bush does) or just the very front mount?
Sorry if this is a dumb question - just trying to get my head round what the physical differences between CC bushes and washer modding might be.
I take your point about the reduced thickness of rubber/PU where the sleeve is offset in the bush. This appears to be the only difference between the 2 methods, unless I am missing something :?:

I've only just arrived on the 80 scene and I haven't even worked out the names of some of the components let alone thought about slotted washers. Just what are those big long cast arms called. The one that go from the axle to the chassis? I assume that CC has something to do with those?

Been busy fixing bits and pieces on the vehicle - haven't got as far as driving it yet really. When we get to Lincomb, I'm sure that I shall be asking one of you to take me though all the clanky bits. Should get the Ironman for next week and get that whacked on. Presumably this is undo, remove, replace do up? No black magic involved. Should get 50mm receiver made up next week to. Can't have that flipping great big ground anchor on the back of my wagon. Pushing it to get winch and bumper plus side bars done for then.

Chris

Chris said:
I've only just arrived on the 80 scene and I haven't even worked out the names of some of the components let alone thought about slotted washers. Just what are those big long cast arms called. The one that go from the axle to the chassis? I assume that CC has something to do with those?
Those are the radius arms where the CC bushes go - that're also causing my grey matter to overheat trying to work things out :mrgreen:

Nothing too fancy involved with the suspension swap. Good advice is to give the bolts on the rear (particularly the lower ones) shocks a good soaking in your preferred flavour of penetrating oil for a week beforehand. Snapping one of those bolts in situ is going to complicate your life quite significantly. On the top of the shocks you can either undo the nut on the "pin" of the shock or remove the whole "turret"/bracket thing that the top of the shock bolts onto. I took the turret off (2 bolts because the bolts came off happily enough and getting to the nut on the pin requires more contortion than I could easily manage.
Front shocks are pin top and bottom and easy to access.
Springs a doddle if you've done it before, as you have. I fiddled and faffed a bit until I got the spring compressors working properly and then easy peasy!

If you lift it high enough, you can manage without spring compressors - just be aware that the rear springs are the fat ones & don't try to fit them to the front of the car :oops:

That'll save you two evenings donking about like a moron...

Back