Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OME Suspension lift fitted

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Over the last 3 days I have fitted my OME suspension 40mm lift. Probably spent 6-7 hours doing it in total.
150KG+ coils on back, standard shocks on back. 50kg+ coils on front and HD shocks up front.
Before fitting the measurements on front were from top of wheel rim to wheel arch:

offside front: 30.5cm (after lift = 39cm)
nearside front: 32.5cm (after lift = 39cm)
offside rear: 30cm (after lift = 36cm)
nearside rear: 31cm (after lift = 36cm)

offside front was sagging 2cm lower to drivers side before lift, which is what prompted me to fit new suspension. Now both sides same, but gone up 6.5cm on nearside and 8.5 on offside). I will be fitting a TBR winch mount and winch to front in June, so hopefully the front will settle more! Not sure what factory top of wheel rim>arch measurement should have been?

Rear has gone up 5-6cm. Even when i have recovery gear, and Blackrat(tirfor) handwinch and cable in the boot.
maybe it will settle to its supposed lift height. But old springs may have sagged.

Had a few hassles, including rounding off the far top-tower nut with ring spanner (cant get socket on that one), so had to use a stud-extractor to remove that, on both sides.
One of old top shock bolts also rounded off, so used a nut-cracker to break that, before i got angle grinder out.
and biggest pain was a ARB drop-link snapping, when trying to undo. even after s days of WD40 and blowtorch treatment.
So i used a cutting saw to cut the shaft of old one, at top of hex on sleeve. And welded on a bolt. Then ground the weld down to give a hex finish. Guess I will order a replacement, but this should do for now.

Steering feels a bit different but only driven it a mile or so, on corners no bad body roll and felt ok in a bit of easy offroad

- guess I may have to get the tracking checked?

do people normally do that after a suspension lift. But i will wait until winch fitted and the coils have settled down in a few weeks time.

Thanks for tips and older posts on here and tlocuk - helped enormously!

So, some pictures

Landcruiser last year, when i acquired it, un-molested...

wugglastyearwhennew.jpg

Landcruiser after lift:

wuggnowafter4cmsuspensionliftfitted.jpg

after lift, other side
wuggnowafter4cmsuspensionliftfittedjustfitsingarage.jpg

rear shocks/springs
newrearomeliftspringsandshocks.jpg

useful! stud extractors
studextractorsneededtoremoveroundedoffnutfromshocktower.jpg

old and new front coils
newfrontspringsvsold.jpg

assembled front suspension old and new
newassembedshocksspringsandoldnewlonger.jpg

some tools for the job...
powertoolsandgadgetsneeded.jpg

cutting and welding a fix for the snapped front ARB link
arblinkrodsnappedwhenremovingseizednut.jpg

temporary repair
manufacteredarblinkboltweldedontoendofbrokenshaft.jpg

fitted link
manufacturedarblinkfittedbackontocar.jpg

front suspension fitted
frontshockspringfitted.jpg

Mine with OME (About 18,000miles old)
0881 (+50Kg) Front
0890 Rear

Nearly empty but with Outback Drawers

Front: = 36cm
Rear: = 33cm

Think I'm going to put 0892 (+300kg) in the rear of mine, the back end when loaded is low and under sprung IMO.

cheers for info on heights - so maybe mine will "bed-in" a little in time

The part no's i fitted this week were:
Front Shocks: 2 x N91SB (3-1891) heavy duty
Front Springs: 2 x OME882 (3-0822) 51-110kgs 40mm Lift
Rear Springs: 2 x OME891(3-0891) REAR SPRING 150kg load 40mm Lift

last October i fitted:
Rear Shocks 2x N86 standard

Yes, (from other thread) two lifts in one day, eh. Similar looking array of surgical instruments needed too.

Looks tidy. Much better without the plastic flares (to get ripped off). Easier to fit custom bumpers to. I found that with the +50kg fronts, when I added weight, it made very little difference at all. They are strong springs, but not a harsh ride. I ended up needing some rear spacers to bring the back end up. But you have the higher rated springs on there so you might stay level all round. Lovely day for it. Looks like you have a nice spot there.

Chris

AndyCook said:
- guess I may have to get the tracking checked?

do people normally do that after a suspension lift. But i will wait until winch fitted and the coils have settled down in a few weeks time.
Definitely check the alignment (4-point), the height increasing is been so much. But as you said, install the winch and drive it first couple of weeks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy, I checked mine after fitting and every measurement was still in the green. They say that up to 40mm on a 90 is still within spec. No adjustments made. It was so spot on that they felt guilty about charging me a tenner to tell me that!

I wouldn't think that you'd notice any difference. Now, Matti's lift is different because he fitted top spacers to his struts which effectively moves the front wheel forward. You have fitted a straight suspension lift which does not have quite the pronounced effect that spacers have.

Chris

ta chris - so its like the camber/castor then

Took the vehicle for a longer drive yesterday, suspension feels good, not really a lot different than before, and no alarming body roll on corners, although i was taking it steady.
However, i have noticed my steering wheel isn't central anymore when driving straight on a flat road. I suspect this might be due to fact the vehicle was sagging 20mm on one side prior to fitting the new suspension, and when i had tracking done last year the adjustment may have compensated for this....

going to swap the front ARB links to rear, and get some Terrano rear droplinks for front.

24Seven said:
Mine with OME (About 18,000miles old)
0881 (+50Kg) Front
0890 Rear

Nearly empty but with Outback Drawers

Rear: = 33cm

Think I'm going to put 0892 (+300kg) in the rear of mine, the back end when loaded is low and under sprung IMO.

Mine now still nearly empty with Outback Drawers

0881 (+50kg) Front
Std LC 80 Front Springs on the back

Rear: = 39cm

mine now
36cm at back and 37 at front
(front has sagged a further 2cm since the 39cm measured at fitting - after adding a TBR winch mount and winch = 60kg)

Andrew Prince said:
So the 80 springs are doing roughly what you wanted them to, Matt?

Yes thanks, it does look high at the moment, but there are no seats in the rear at all, the two rows of rear seats are shockingly heavy, when / if the wife has the 90 back it will be put back together and filled with kids so it should level out even then :mrgreen:

(I put the sizes in this thread so it keeps them all together btw.)

AndyCook said:
mine now
36cm at back and 37 at front
(front has sagged a further 2cm since the 39cm measured at fitting - after adding a TBR winch mount and winch = 60kg)

I'm guessing mine will stay as it is now as the 80 springs will have pre-sagged on Andrew's LC.

Back