Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

One day I hope to be able to do a right angle and a straight line!!

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
First stage of the new drawer system, but I am rubbish at cutting straight lines so some serious dodging to do to get it right!!
866372AA-A2CE-408E-8938-9D2CDC6403ED.jpeg
1110AD7D-9CE7-49DD-9D89-5495904913C2.jpeg

The trick is to draw out your dimensions on a sheet and take it to whichever merchant or DIY outfit (I used local builders merchant as the only local source of Birch ply, THE material if you’re using ply) and present them with the plan with measurements and they will cut perfect square edges and straight lines on their calibrated panel saw. I’ve done this many times for many different things and the few pounds they charge is worth a hundred times that in the lack of hassle and professional appearance of the finished article.

The key is to lay out your panels on a 1220 mm x 2440 mm sheet by size so that they can make as few cuts as possible.

Last edited:
Bit of an update, finished the front and the knive and fork drawer, plan is to build a removable frame around the fridge so the base can stay in the car all the time, and I will fix a bit of wood on top. Well that’s the plan!!
0B311916-D87E-46F1-90B6-0B79E986080D.jpeg
4333F5D9-EC1E-4E19-9773-B106EB0C137F.jpeg
76603401-3088-4A3F-A7F6-63227ED76E07.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I like your thinking. How stable is that cutlery tray and how stable is the work surface? Do you intend putting any legs down?

One of the major bugbears of cooling off of the rear drop down is that no matter how well you prepare, you always want something out of a drawer that means you’ve got to clear the surface.

neat design.
I can't cut a straight line for dear life so always have to use an electric saw and a straight edge clamped in place.

Looks like a great setup! Easiest way to cut straight is to G clamp a straight edge, such as a spirit level or metal profile to your panel, and run a circular saw along it. Cheap and easy!

Looks like a great setup! Easiest way to cut straight is to G clamp a straight edge, such as a spirit level or metal profile to your panel, and run a circular saw along it. Cheap and easy!
You can do that for sure. If you mess it up you cut another. The other bonus of the timber yard doing it, if you did your drawing right and they mess up, you only pay for the bits they got right and they go and get another sheet.

I like your thinking. How stable is that cutlery tray and how stable is the work surface? Do you intend putting any legs down?

One of the major bugbears of cooling off of the rear drop down is that no matter how well you prepare, you always want something out of a drawer that means you’ve got to clear the surface.
Both the 1meter slides are rated for 150kg I think, there is some play but I think that is to do with the carpet getting compressed, but it does create a large hingeing force so may look a a support leg.

Both the 1meter slides are rated for 150kg I think, there is some play but I think that is to do with the carpet getting compressed, but it does create a large hingeing force so may look a a support leg.
Its a given Fact While 'ya' Waiting for your Burgers.. Your 'Gonna' Sit on it..:doh:

I found there is a slight ramp down towards the back on the boot floor. A 10mm thick strip just back from the edge sorts out much of the movement.

Or this ... it's a tad cheaper than anything festool :)

View attachment 154970
I use a steel straight edge as I’ve found using a piece of wood you can’t guarantee it’s totally straight. I use a length of extruded aluminium left over from my days installing solar systems but a long spirit level makes a good alternative.

I use a steel straight edge as I’ve found using a piece of wood you can’t guarantee it’s totally straight. I use a length of extruded aluminium left over from my days installing solar systems but a long spirit level makes a good alternative.

Yes good call - as expensive as it is you seldom get any timber square or straight.

Back