Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ongoing AHC Problems

Brett

Country Flag
uk
Following on from my broken sensor post, I have now replaced the sensor linkage, not the entire height sensor but I am still having issues, I suspect it could be out of calibration but hopefully someone with more knowledge of AHC systems than me may have some suggestions?

I can get the AHC pump to run, but only after starting the car, and on the first press of a height selection. For example, starting in "N" and pressing the up or down arrow, the pump will run and the height will raise or lower but it doesn't complete the selection, it'll get to where it wants but the arrow never goes solid and disappears, now not responding to any button press until I restart again, and regardless of whether the truck is High or Low, it displays the "N" symbol and both arrows. The heights of each wheel seem to be out of wack as they are quite different in H setting. To get the truck back to as close to Normal height as possible I have to drive it so it automatically adjusts the height.

After replacing the sensor arm, I connected the truck to Techstream and it had 2 stored DTC's one for the rear right height sensor (which I expected) but also one for the front Left hand sensor. On querying the codes, Techstream reported that there were no faults now, so I cleared the codes. They have not returned and I have not seen any further check 4 wheel AHC warnings (this only happened once the evening the arm snapped, when going round a bend, driving home).

I have measured the wheel arch clearance from the centre of the arch (perpendicular) to the hub centre and have the following:-

Normal Height Setting
Front Right - 490mm
Front Left - 480mm
Rear Right - 480mm
Rear Left - 485mm

High Height Setting
Front Right - 515mm
Front Left - 560mm
Rear Right - 545mm
Rear Left - 610mm

I have checked all the lines and have no leaks, my fluid level was low in the reservoir, I have topped it up since this happened and not seen any loss since. I also wonder if I have trappped air in the hydraulics somewhere as the tank was low, but I'm a bit nervous about bleeding the system while unable to raise and lower height easily, or correctly.

HI Brett, Sorry, I had not realised that.
No problem Adrian, all suggestions are welcome! I think there are more similarities than differences between the two so I'm sure I will learn something worthwhile from the video.

I suspect there will be many similarities. toyota dont often change much once they have something good. just incremental improvements.

The cheat sheet was also very helpful.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I didnt maintain setup by myself, by toyota mechanic did it.

But I know that they replace and renew the AHC fluid at least two times in the 10 years I did own the car.

My Milage was 120k km, or 70k miles.

Surfy

Hi Guy, I have posted on there, I'm user GvsB on Mud.

Link to Post on 1H8Mud is here for anyone interested.

200 series AHC problems

Last edited:
Convert to shocks and springs and save yourself a shed load of money and time in the long run. Just done mine - see my other threads on the subject. Once my AHC started to go wrong, it never recovered and in my case, changing the ride height sensors (expensive) didn't solve the problem. After a lot of messing about concluded once the pump and brain box that controls the AHC went wrong there was no reasonably priced solution. Shocks and springs in a kit cost me approx £650. To put it in context, a 5lt of suspension fluid costs around £120 or a lot more than that from a main dealer! Have to replace any part in the AHC hydraulic system involves several litres of fluid. Trust me the ride is now no different or arguably better IMO, once converted. Yes you have lost the high/low facility, but haven't ever got to pay out for new "golden globes" or rigid/flexible hydraulic pipes. It's inevitable these will fail at some stage, I'm on my 4th 100 series LC Amazon and all have had the same problems with AHC and cost several 100's of ££££ and a lot of time. If you have to pay going rates for labour then it will cost 000's to fix.

There is no kit (AFAIK) available for the 200 to replace with standard springs and shocks. Please correct me if I'm wrong but you have a 100 series?

I want to keep the AHC, mine is booked in for Monday to have both rear sensors changed. Fluid is £93 for 5 litres from roughtrax so a bit cheaper. Also the globes are the consumable item that provides the damping, so are going to need replacing at some point, the shocks aren't really shocks, they are more like hydraulic rams. They don't really need replacing unless they totally fail.

Pleased to report my AHC is finally repaired and fully functional again. In the end I had to buy another rear sensor for the passenger side. I didn't do the work myself this time, my Mechanic reported that both sensor mounting brackets on the chassis were really bent out of shape, we assume this happened when the sensor linkages seize, which explained why the numbers were so far out on techstream, and it couldn't work out the correct height. He had to compare to his own 200 to get back into the correct positions before fitting the new height sensors.

Pleased to report my AHC is finally repaired and fully functional again. In the end I had to buy another rear sensor for the passenger side. I didn't do the work myself this time, my Mechanic reported that both sensor mounting brackets on the chassis were really bent out of shape, we assume this happened when the sensor linkages seize, which explained why the numbers were so far out on techstream, and it couldn't work out the correct height. He had to compare to his own 200 to get back into the correct positions before fitting the new height sensors.
Hi Brett. Glad to hear you got it sorted. My V8 has developed a Check AHC warning when cornering and braking. Its booked into local indy who's quite knowledgeable with 4x4s and I've printed some materials to help him familiarise himself. I'm going to have it checked and a fluid flush (ordered from Roughtrax). I wondered whether you're aware of the correct height measurements when all in order? Or any other tips or things to be aware of from your recent experience with the AHC? John

Hi Brett. Glad to hear you got it sorted. My V8 has developed a Check AHC warning when cornering and braking. Its booked into local indy who's quite knowledgeable with 4x4s and I've printed some materials to help him familiarise himself. I'm going to have it checked and a fluid flush (ordered from Roughtrax). I wondered whether you're aware of the correct height measurements when all in order? Or any other tips or things to be aware of from your recent experience with the AHC? John
Hi Jon, have you checked the fluid level? It's not as easy as on the 100's you have to check inside the access cover in rear drivers side wheel well. Sounds like you may be running low.

The numbers should all be as close to zero as possible for the height sensors in techstream, best advise would be try and get hold of the workshop manual and a copy of techstream. There is a height offset utility which can be run to fine tune.

Main thing I would say is keep an eye on the rear pipe that runs across the chassis side to side near rear axle, this one is prone to corrosion in UK. give it a good coating of grease before winter.

Reactions: Raj
Hi Jon, have you checked the fluid level? It's not as easy as on the 100's you have to check inside the access cover in rear drivers side wheel well. Sounds like you may be running low.

The numbers should all be as close to zero as possible for the height sensors in techstream, best advise would be try and get hold of the workshop manual and a copy of techstream. There is a height offset utility which can be run to fine tune.

Main thing I would say is keep an eye on the rear pipe that runs across the chassis side to side near rear axle, this one is prone to corrosion in UK. give it a good coating of grease before winter.
Hi Brett, Thanks for getting back to me. I tried to get sight of the fluid level but its a black hole in there under that access cover. I've shared a load of info with the workshop including @PADDO method and what I think is the workshop manual for suspension that I've gathered from IH8MUD. Its booked in Thursday when I'll have the fluid in hand from Roughtrax, so I've asked them if their diagnostic system/s will provide same functionality as Techstream and if not I'll order on Amazon (the cable and disc). Earlier this year the same mechanic who's doing the work gave the underbody a thorough clean, wire brush and lathering with a dozen cans of Wurth Underbody Protection, I've sent him a message asking whether he recalls corrosion on that pipe in particular. Hopefully no parts needed at this point as the parts are not budget. Cheers. John

Last edited:
Hi Jon,
To check fluid level, you have to take out spare tyre and fix a torch from there at an angle on the reservoir. Once torch position is set, remove cover from behind the rear wheel, clean reservoir tank and now check level.

Check first few seconds of this video. The pink tank is the AHC reservoir view with light from below. I did this after bleeding so took a while to pick up. You can see how the tank is empty after it’s raised to high

with 200 I am scared of garages. I too went to a garage with all the printouts from manual but they said they have to call a nut doctor as bleeding screws look rusted and so on. Finally thanks to Jon, he showed me how to open bleeding screws so I did all the AHC bleeding and fluid flush without The Nut Doctor.
If the mechanic is genuine, it’s a blessing.

Hi Raj. Thanks for the information, I'll have a closer look at the video when on my PC. Yes I can imagine the complexity of the vehicle is just too much hassle for many mechanics when they can make a living doing MOTs and changing exhausts etc. I use the local Toyota dealership for services, and everything else a local independent in Llanrwst, the owners son who works on my vehicle is a 4wd enthusiast and got stuck into the recent unenviable job of the underbody work enthusiastically enough, he has been in touch earlier saying he'll review the workshop manual for suspension I sent electronically, so I am quietly optimistic! Cheers. John

Last edited:
Reactions: Raj
Back