Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Only one 12v fag lighter socket works ?

Shayne

Guru
Both worked until she blew one with a hairdryer :icon-rolleyes:

There is one large fuse marked power outlet under the bonnet but it can't be that or i would have no power to either socket surely ?

Also 2 small fuses under the bonnet marked 20A power outlet , I swapped them with no result .

There is one small fuse inside the car which despite being sure it couldn't be that or neither socket would work i swapped with the heated seats fuse (i don't have heated seats) with no result and the guilty socket does not appear to be burnt or otherwise compromised

So any suggestions ?

Is it the right-hand one with the fag lighter in it? Mine has never worked either and I now feel the need to get to the bottom of it.

Yes drivers side is fag lighter , i stuck a usb socket in the left (capped) one to charge phones

There must be another fuse somewhere. I've tried all of those in the main box under the bonnet. And the two dash sockets must be fused separately. I will hunt around again.

I did yank the whole lighter socket out with my satnav once and i don't recall seeing any fuse immediately behind it , if you do this the plastic internals look broke but they do click back together . DO NOT click them back together until its all back inside the dash ! its a pita to get apart again and it can't be relocated in one piece .

I would guess if all fuses are good the battery power goes to the usb side with a fused extension to the lighter side so i will be removing the ashtray if i get the chance before travelling tomorrow but if not a funeral will have me away for a few days .

What do you have plugged into the dead socket, have you tried a different plug? sometimes the plug itself has a fuse inside.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes i worked that out when she blew your 12v with the same hairdryer Chas remember :lol: mines multimeter dead with no gadgets or plugs in it .

I've had several cars with an old fashioned glass in-line 35 amp fuse, some of them not so easy to find.

Don't know if yours may have one Shayne, maybe worth following the supply wire, unless it disappears quickly into the harness.

That's exactly what i would be looking for Clive a manufacturers bodge i would call it and it has to be between the two sockets .

I would guess Shayne that if we are talking about a factory Toyota setup then I would expect it to be fused at the box and nowhere else.

By swapping fuses you may have been blowing them as you swapped them if there is still a fault on the socket. Also if the plug behind it has been dislodged. Also sometimes the fag lighter is run off the same circuit as the radio. Those marked power outlet probably do the blanked ones, is there a second one in the boot perhaps?

There is another fuse. If you look on the back of the socket, there is a tiny fusible link. It's like a blob of solder. These blow. Cannot say for sure that YOUR socket has one, but I know I have blown several Cruiser sockets like this including ones on Collies.

Does your horn still work Shayne?could be on that fuse even.

Pissing down so sod it i haven't missed for a few months so a few more weeks won't matter , something to do while they are all watching the wizard of oz :icon-rolleyes:

Back