Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ostrich Wing awning

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Been to pick up a second hand Ostrich Wing awning today (2nd hand a a bit of a bargain I hope). The previous owner also had a front runner rack so the custom brackets were already spaced for my rails.

I've roughly fitted it this afternoon so that I can grease the hinge, poles and look for any other damage I didn't pick up when I bought it.

It's probably going to have to come off to be fabsiled

As you can see from the pictures the gap at the rear to the rack is quite large 16cm ish.
Obviously there will be water run off from the vehicle but would it be worth moving it tight to the rack and thus move over the vehicle?

Anyone else can supply pictures for how you minimise rain entry.

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_153303656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201230_153303656.MP.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20201230_151234640.jpg
    PXL_20201230_151234640.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 110
Well done finding that , can you not just move the whole thing forward where it bolts to the rack so it overhangs the windscreen a little when its closed ?

Been looking for 9months or so, they don't come up very often.

Yeah I can move it forward. It will be a faff but do able. It was more whether I needed to.

That needs to go forward to get the corner stay attached to the rack, then it will sit in the right place

Adjusted... It's mounted with none standard brackets there is no z bracket for the back corner. It's tight fitting and seems ok.

Attachments

• PXL_20201231_120915062.jpg
    PXL_20201231_120915062.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 88
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Struggling to visualize this. Have you got a picture? or can you sketch it please?

forgot to do it for you sorry.

yours looks perfect though. fancy making me one lol.

Had to do a variation of the same thing today, supporting the 270 degree bracket of the OstrichWing.

After a bit of thought I ( that is Chris and I , or more precisely Chris) came up with the idea of utilising the iKamper fixing channel ( and then Chris left).

Finding a piece of steel ( its always like Scrapheap Challenge here) which was decades old and imperial in measurement which fitted the channel far more precisely than the bits of metric I had and then digging out an old exhaust bobbin, modified it and with 2 nuts it was made.
It slots in before or after the awning is opened up and keeps the awning nice and taut.

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

It was made slightly bent in order for it to be a more precise fit in the channel then hold the strut at the exact required height.

Back