Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ouch! How serious...?

GuyB

Country Flag
sweden
Hi all,

Went to a 4x4 meet nearby expecting a friendly knock-about on woodland trails. Turned out it was a bit more serious, and a very technical course. In spite of being the only entrant with smaller than 37 inch wheels (I run 33s), no 3-point harness or a roll cage, I actually did ok (much to the amazement of just about everyone, myself included), and even placed in the last heat.

Trouble is, the course was riddled with rocks and stumps, and they tool a heavy toll on the 80’s underside. The orange is Sahara sand, not rust!)

I’d appreciate any help identifying parts that need replacing, versus what I can repair with a hammer!

First one is hard to see but and doesn’t look serious.
upload_2018-6-4_10-14-8.jpeg

Not sure what this 2nd one is, but looks like it’s only a protective layer that’s damaged.
upload_2018-6-4_10-20-38.jpeg

If you zoom into the 3rd pic, you can see a small gap has opened up where there shouldn’t be one on the output shaft...
upload_2018-6-4_10-21-41.jpeg

OMHO of course, but:

Pic 1 - superficial, a small tap with a big hammer should fix it;

Pic 2 - that’s the fuel tank guard, and it seems to have done its job. The bands should be removed, drop the guard off and batter it ‘straight’. Straighten out the damaged band, and replace. All should be well.

Pic 3 - Not sure. I’m guessing the ‘ring’ is just displaced, and a big tap with a small hammer scour re-seat in in its rightful place.

Do you have a suspension lift?

Thanks Clive - yes I do have a 3 inch lift. Would have needed several more to come out of that unscathed:)

Thanks Clive - yes I do have a 3 inch lift. Would have needed several more to come out of that unscathed:)
Or skid plates? Maybe something forvthe Christmas list? :)

I’ve managed to avoid getting underbody protection, maybe its instinct kicking in, but I tend to avoid anything my circa 140mm lift won’t clear.

I have caught stuff on the diff casing, but very gently, so I still don’t really feel the need for armour.

If you’re going to do this on anything like a regular basis, then some plates will be a good insurance policy, your luck is bound to run out at some time... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No plans to make it a regular thing - I like getting out on trails, but the whole rock and tree stump thing..? Meah, not for me. :relaxed:

Back