Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

overland trip to Mongolia kit list

Rob

Garage
Right the reality has just hit me, we are finally driving to Mongolia :shock: And so I have decided to run a kit list by you lot to see what else I need and what's overkill. The trip will take 8-9 weeks and the route will take us across Europe to Poland in one day and then across Ukraine Russia and into Mongolia

Spares:
  • 2 spare tyres on rims[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 2 oil filters[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 1 fuel filter[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 1 air filter[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • pair of alternator belts[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • all oils and fluids in appropriate quantities including 2 engine oil changes and spare[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 2.5mm^2 cable[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • box of electrical connectors[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • fuses[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • some exhaust tape (im too cheap to replace the blowing zorst, will weld it in Russia for pennies and wrap it with tape)[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • grease including molly[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • spare bulbs[/*:m:2c5nkx58]

Equipment:
  • roof tent[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • roof rack[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 3 recovery straps [/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 4 shackles[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • snatch block[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • ratchet straps small and large[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • bungies[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • Large hammer[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • paddock spares land anchor[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 5" hilift with LR adaptor[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • compressor[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 2 20l fuel jerry cans[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 2 25l water jerry cans (rarely ever going to have both full except in the Gobi Desert if we decide to go there)[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • fuel jerry can spout[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • extensive socket set[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • tool box full of tools that can fit in a tool box :lol: [/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • crowbar[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • breaker bar[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • torque wrench[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • grease gun[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • funnel[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • jump leads[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • bottle jack[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • spade[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • coleman dual fuel (petrol/white gas) 2 burner stove[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 5l plastic petrol can[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • ~7kg eastern european gas bottle with single burner attached directly to it to top (its the norm out there)[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • plates ect[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • foldable chairs[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • Engel fridge[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • plastic storage boxes[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • plastic washing bowl[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 500w pure sine inverter[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • laptop[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • gps[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • sat phone[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • lantern[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • spare tent[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • spare sleeping bag[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • first aid kit and an assortment of medication including a bucket of DEET and a couple of vacinations bought over the counter (with prescription) in Poland which we will take ourselves as we missed some :roll: [/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • fire extiguisher[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • hi vis jackets[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • maps[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • guide books[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • 4 way extension lead[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • single long extension lead[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • torches[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • lots of bog roll[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • kitchen roll[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • cable ties[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • duct tape (yes the real stuff not the cheap useless copies)[/*:m:2c5nkx58]
  • solar shower[/*:m:2c5nkx58]

Looking at that list I should of got beefier suspension, the +200kg on the rear will struggle, too late now. Thinking about it spare tent and sleeping bags will probably be dropped. I'm sure I have missed something but let me know what you think.

Spare inner and outer wheelbearings (cleaned-up used ones :idea: )
Some wire (useful to hold things together & doesn't take up too much space)
Couple of hose clamps in case you need to reconnect split/snapped hoses (various sizes to suit brake hose up to radiator hose)
Superglue
A groundsheet
Camping table would be useful too but not critical
Lots of baby wipes :mrgreen:

How about changing your standard air filter for a performance one that can be washed out rather than carrying a spare, some standard ones can put up with that anyway.
I know some say to carry a spare viscous coupling fan. If you want the best advice I think andy from west sussex is the man for the major unsupported trips.
I always carry threaded rod too with lots of nuts and washers stored on it.

I like that tip about the threaded rod Paul... M6 to M24 enough?? ;-)

Gas soldering iron kit - Maplins.
200 good American ciggies like Camel (buy en route) Amazing what folks will do for some smokes and they make good thank you's in any currency
Radiator stop leak
Bottle of OKO tyre sealant. Got a flat in an awkward place - 500ml in tyre, inflate and rotate - you're off! Fixed before you could even get the tool kit out.

C

Forgot about the bearings, kept the old ones for that reason. AFAIK the OEM air filter is washable, and my spare is OEM. The current one looks washable too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
200 good American ciggies like Camel (buy en route) Amazing what folks will do for some smokes and they make good thank you's in any currency

Stored in the "bloody handy tip" category. :cool:

We always seem to carry too many spares & never use them BUT you never know!, I would also reccomend various seal kits ie p/s pump, brake master cyl, starter motor (esp if you are auto) & alternator brushes & repair kits, they are small & lightweight,.
It just all depends on how far off the beaten track you are going.

I wouldnt bother with the jerry can spout, mine have always seemed to leak, I just pour from the jerries into a cut off plastic bottle, its quicker too!

Andy

Rob,

I wouldn't bother with these:

-spare tent
-spare sleeping bag
-hi vis jackets
-torque wrench
-paddock spares land anchor
-2 engine oil changes and spare - one is enough

Have you fitted?:

-dual fuel filte
-air springs

The spares list doesn't seem to be complete.

Except in critical situation, you will probably never use anything that ends up at the bottom of the heap or takes more than five minutes to find.

I have bought and fitted most rebuild kits apart from the alternator. It is a manual so not too worried if the electrics. Roman, I have not fitted a duel fuel filter or air springs as the budget did not stretch that far. As I currently have a non working rear diff lock (may get a chance to have a look at it before we go) and travelling on my own a light-ish land anchor is top of the list when it comes to self recovery (I have a winch too). I would rather carry that then bury a spare wheel which I have heard is no easy task.

What other spares do you recommend apart from rebuild kits? Coolant hoses?

Tube of instant gasket, Rob. Pretty handy stuff.

C

You have a mail with an extensive packing list that is total overkill, but you will find the odd useful bit of information in there .... and I've sent you a first aid kit listing too.

Cheers - and enjoy!! Plenty pics please !!

Thanks Gary, that is a huge list. Now why isn't there a HUGE smiley? Clearly we need more

Just remember that everything you add will add weight - and weight is your enemy, :naughty: so only put it into the 'must take' category if you think there will be absolutely NO alternative, like you can use the wrecking bar instead of the land anchor, you can use a 2 litre coke bottle as a funnel and then dispose of it, saving space and mess, etc. etc. Work out how long you will be truly unsupported and plan for that - remember that DHL / TNT / FedEx etc can probably get you major emergency parts anywhere in the world - obviously for a price ...

For food, don't pack a whole pack of pasta if you're only doing one meal, etc. - take what you need. We all tend to over-pack and over-cater - spares aside, you'll probably be surprised at what you never use and what you bring back unopened or barely touched ...

cheap bic pens and notebooks make great give-aways for kids, much better than sweets ...

Have fun

And I like all the new emoticons :clap: :clap: :dance:

Gary Stockton said:
You have a mail with an extensive packing list that is total overkill, but you will find the odd useful bit of information in there .... and I've sent you a first aid kit listing too.

Cheers - and enjoy!! Plenty pics please !!

Gary would you mind PM'ing me that list? :handgestures-thumbup: Remember it being very comprehensive and its good to go through and choose those you feel apply to your vehicle/destination etc. Particularly keen on the first aid list . :auto-ambulance:

Thanks!

Gary - email it to me and I'll stick it up for download.

One thing that is missing from the list is a spare set of keys even more so if the key has a transponder within. If travelling alone I would consider hiding the door Key(s) under the truck somewhere and maybe the other keys hidden inside.

Yep - will add to the list. If travelling alone, a key-safe installed somewhere is useful. When we went to France, Jon and I swapped spares so you didn't lock your spare inside the vehicle and then lose the master set ... :whistle: :shifty: Not smart ... :doh:

24Seven said:
One thing that is missing from the list is a spare set of keys even more so if the key has a transponder within. If travelling alone I would consider hiding the door Key(s) under the truck somewhere and maybe the other keys hidden inside.
Under the truck,,,,,,,,,,,,
Some where dry and waterproof, for that inadvertent river crossing :o

Graham

Back