Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Panard rod

stumog

Country Flag
england
Hi chaps
since lifting my 80 with 50mm springs the front axle seems to have moved over to the N/S i am aware this is the panard rod. should this happen with on a 50mm lift. also who do adjustable rods as i dont seem to be able to find any in the uk.
i dont really want to cut and sleeve it as i am sure it will drop and go the other way when i add the winch i have sat on my floor.
any suggestions.
stu

Stu, I doubt that. I did a 5 " lift on mine and bought the massive IronMan adjustable rod. When we measured it up and got it straight, the adjustment was around half an inch! So a bit over kill in my view. I had a 50mm lift on mine before with no adjustment and it was fine. If you needed to pinch a bit, you could profile the mounting hole and weld a washer over the old hole to give you a new position. Like you can with castor correction. You could get an old PHR form Karl and slice that up. He must have dozens.

Have you driven around in it yet. It needs to settle in.

Chris

Hi chris
i have done a about 500 miles on it as i was hoping it would settle in. i will take some measurements tonight and a couple of pictures. How much did you wheel move over when you did a 5" lift i think at a gues mines about a 1" over to the near side. whats the caster correction trick you alk about is that on the mounts that are on the axle that the jockey sticks attach to?
stu

Well it didn't move at all Stu. It only moves if the PHR is out of true. If you disconnect the PHRs then all the car does is sit on its springs vertically over the axles. The PHR is only there to limit lateral movement. Obviously as you go higher it needs to be longer. So as I said, when I lifted mine, the old rod was a half inch short. The body wasn't really out of alignment without the rod in place. You don't really change the relationship between the upper and lower spring cups do you. OK you do in the longitudinal plane because of the hockey sticks. It may be that something isn't sitting quite right causing it to shift over.

Caster correction is on the front hockey stick holes, yes. You take the bolt out and grind the hole downwards to make a slot then wasl a plate, washer etc over to make it a hole again not a slot. This rotates the axle forwards to compensate for the lift which effectively pulls the axle backwards a little making the steering light. It's a bit of an arse of a job really. You can do more correction by using a plate the provided new holes completely. Or you can use correction bushes. Essentially you push out the old bushes and put in new ones with an off set hole in them. This cranks everything round.

Chris

i will have a look on sunday i think as i got alot to do. i am going to pick up a roofrack on saturday. got a patriot 2.5m coming. thanks for your help chris.
stu

You can easily work out how much longer the rod needs to be by using a right angled triangle calculation. You can, of course, also work out how much to one side the axle is being pulled by the higher lift.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi chaps
since lifting my 80 with 50mm springs the front axle seems to have moved over to the N/S i am aware this is the panard rod. should this happen with on a 50mm lift. also who do adjustable rods as i dont seem to be able to find any in the uk.
i dont really want to cut and sleeve it as i am sure it will drop and go the other way when i add the winch i have sat on my floor.
any suggestions.
stu

I lifted mine 75mm with OME springs & shocks. Completely re-bushed all the suspension links while I was at it including castor correction bushes on the front.

I think the back axle shifted sideways by about 15mm but not enough IMO to lash out on an adjustable PHR. Didn't notice any shift on the front.

The axles on the 80 romp around quite happily under the chassis ,:icon-biggrin: measurements to 15mm become somewhat arbitrary IMO.

Not often I say this - but nice rack Stu.

:laughing-rolling:

Chris

Back