Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1996 Lift gate won't unlock with key, remote, or pull post

kg1

Hi, I am KG1 and new to the Land Cruiser Club. Thanks for allowing me to join! My 1996 LC has 138600 miles and recently displayed problems with opening the lift gate.
It would not open with the outside lift latch even when unlocked but would open from the inside latch. After pulling the trim, I was able to zip tie the rod with the plastic end
that has been discussed numerous times, and the lift gate worked well until today. After locking the LC with the remote, the lift gate won't open from inside, outside after unlocking, or with the key.
I pulled the trim and see that the zip ties are still in place and holding the rod with the plastic end. I can verify that the power lock works for all doors and moves the lift gate
unlock mechanism but not far enough to unlock the lift gate. Does anyone know how to get this open? I think the mechanism has a defect inside the the lock housing that is not visible
but is stopping the full movement of the unlock rods.
Thanks for any advice that may help to resolve this problem.

6/11/23 4pm entry: update for lift gate unable to open, I removed the zip ties holding the plastic end on connecting rod to lock/unlock mechanism, that had moved and prevented full range of lock/unlock mechanism but plastic connector fell out of connecting hole. This freed the movement for the inside latch to open the lift gate! Placed the plastic end into hole then removed it several times but it would not stay in place. Next, inserted drywall screw insert into hole and it stayed in the hole so I removed OEM plastic piece off the rod end, then placed rod end into drywall insert already in the connecting hole and I could now pull tailgate lock pull button, open latch inside the lift gate and open the lift gate from outside. I'll see how long this will work and maybe use epoxy to make this modification permanent.

Last edited:
Just as a trial try squirting the lock with oil. Perhaps it's just got stiff. Sorry never been in there.

Hi, I am KG1 and new to the Land Cruiser Club. Thanks for allowing me to join!
That's OK, they accept anyone on here. :)

On a more serious note welcome, also well done for finding a cure. Feedback on how you accomplished it is always welcome however, sadly some never come back with an update.

Regards

Dave

Back