Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Patina Cruiser

offroadrolls

Country Flag
united_states
I found this 1964 Toyota Land Cruiser in a barn about 10 years ago and decided it's time to go through it. It's one of the most intact and original rust free cruisers I've ever seen. We're doing all the mechanical all the rubber and the interior but, we're leaving the exterior "patina" as is. Excuse the discombobulation of how I go about posting the build.
Today, since no one else will do it. I decided I'd installed the new fuse box. The old one was removed and repaired years ago as seen in the first picture. It took along time because I had to figure out which wires were what.

IMG_0569.jpgfuse.jpgIMG_0572.jpg

That's a nice neat job (assuming you managed to sort out which wires go where properly:lol:).

Years ago, I had an old Chrysler which suffered an engine fire. The main loom running along the bulkhead had been burned so badly that the copper had melted, so I started each side of the "burn" to establish which wire on the left belonged to its counterpart wire on the right.

Of course, nothing simple like colour coded insulation, every wire was the same shade of plain grey. The only coding was at the bullet connectors, no use to me at all! There were about 20 wires to sort out but I got there eventually. A very tedious and frustrating job.

Photos of the truck would be nice, if it's in such good condition.

It's amazing how well a 50 year old vehicle can hold up sometimes, when other 10 year olds have rotted away completely. Nice one :thumbup:

Nice neat wiring. Does that get a cover over the live contacts or is that how it came from new?

That's a nice neat job (assuming you managed to sort out which wires go where properly:lol:).

Years ago, I had an old Chrysler which suffered an engine fire. The main loom running along the bulkhead had been burned so badly that the copper had melted, so I started each side of the "burn" to establish which wire on the left belonged to its counterpart wire on the right.

Of course, nothing simple like colour coded insulation, every wire was the same shade of plain grey. The only coding was at the bullet connectors, no use to me at all! There were about 20 wires to sort out but I got there eventually. A very tedious and frustrating job.

Photos of the truck would be nice, if it's in such good condition.

It's amazing how well a 50 year old vehicle can hold up sometimes, when other 10 year olds have rotted away completely. Nice one :thumbup:

That sounds like a lot of work. This one was not too difficult because there is only a handful of circuits. After identifying the power in, both switched and constant. Then I just juiced each wire one at a time while looking to see what came on. It took about 3 hours.
Yes to StarCruiser the wires remain exposed as that's how the came from the factory.
I'll start posting before and after pictures of the build. Then as we finish it. I'll post pictures of the whole truck. Keep in mind when I say "intact, original and rust free" I'm speaking comparatively. As we all know, old FJ40's are usually full of rust in many places.
This one had rust through in 2 of the 4 most common places. But the rest of the truck is very solid.Below is the rear sill after cut out what was left of the old one and welded in the new one. Look closely on the floor, that pile is what was left of the old one.IMG_0101.jpg

And another after more paint.

IMG_0579.jpg

Here's the rust over the rear wheel wells or inner fenders.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Cut out the rust. One side shows the POR 15 treatment

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

Fast forward to good as new.

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

This is the day we painted the dash

Red LC 1.jpg

And here we are with all components reinstalled into the dash. Check out the after market heater lower right. In 64 a heater was a dealer installed option.

IMG_0575.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm not sure dents count as 'patina' Chas…[emoji4][emoji6]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]Fair enough![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Patina is all the rage in the States right now. But I think it needs to be at least 50 years old. Of course that is probably subjective. A lot of guys don't like it, I think it is very cool!
We recently overhauled the brakes on this one. Other than surface, there's no real rust to speak of. In my mind its "patina" is perfect!

IMG_0446.jpg

Patina is all the rage in the States right now. But I think it needs to be at least 50 years old. Of course that is probably subjective. A lot of guys don't like it, I think it is very cool!
We recently overhauled the brakes on this one. Other than surface, there's no real rust to speak of. In my mind its "patina" is perfect!

View attachment 21970
I think it looks great. See Richard it has dents too.

Ok, ok, I'll let you have that one Chas. [emoji6][emoji6][emoji4]

Great looking truck BTW. And another great photo (well, apart from the modern car in the corner) it could be from any era.

I forgot to say the truck is a 1937 Diamond T Model 80d. The D is for deluxe. You ought to see the dashboard instruments in this thing. I forgot to snap a pic though, so you'll have to google it. Anyway back to the 64 FJ40. Here's some pics of under the hood........I mean bonnet.

IMG_0588.JPG

Check out the carb. Looks like the crank vent inlet hose needs some screws on the clamps.

IMG_0589.JPG

Never seen a 5 blade fan on one of these. I wonder if it's stock? Look, the chain on the radiator cap is still there! I know, it takes very little to excite me.

IMG_0591.JPG

Even the battery hold down is all there with the stock wing nuts just has it left the factory. Except it has a Walmart Never Start battery.

IMG_0594.JPG

The clamps on the vacuum switch for the 4WD look like there's never been a screw driver on them.

IMG_0597.JPG

Even the chain on the oil cap is there!

IMG_0595.JPG

We're finally done with the interior. Here's some before and after pics
Obviously, the seats had been recovered some time in the past. Glad they were worn out because they are ugly.....pink and white?

.IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Looks fantastic inside ORR, and I get the little things like the chain on the caps. It tells a story that the truck has been looked after by someone who cares.

Back