Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Peak District laning

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
Had a trip out to the Peak district yesterday.

there was me and 4 suzuki's.

we all met at the cat and fiddle pub, the second highest in the UK.

P3040002.jpg

P3040003.jpg

quite a bleak overcast day with a fair bit of rain, sleet and snow.

P3040004.jpg

P3040005.jpg

headed down Hollinsclough.

P3040006.jpg

P3040007.jpg

P3040009.jpg

P3040010.jpg

P3040012.jpg

dropped down one of the rock steps and landed on my back bumper very hard. :thumbdown:

P3040013.jpg

P3040014.jpg

P3040015.jpg

P3040018.jpg

P3040023.jpg

P3040024.jpg

P3040025.jpg

P3040026.jpg

P3040027.jpg

P3040028.jpg

i noticed lots of new signs up on most of the lanes.

P3040029.jpg

P3040030.jpg

P3040031.jpg

P3040033.jpg

P3040035.jpg

coming down Stanage Edge.

P3040036.jpg

P3040037.jpg

P3040038.jpg

P3040039.jpg

P3040040.jpg

the suzuki leading us got hung up on a large rock.

P3040041.jpg

P3040042.jpg

P3040043.jpg

P3040044.jpg

P3040046.jpg

getting a bit twisty.

P3040048.jpg

P3040050.jpg

P3040051.jpg

P3040052.jpg

P3040056.jpg

one of the suzukis blew a front free wheeling hub clean off so decided to call it a day.

P3040058.jpg

P3040059.jpg

P3040060.jpg

P3040061.jpg

P3040064.jpg

last lane of the day.

P3040065.jpg

P3040066.jpg

P3040067.jpg

P3040069.jpg

P3040070.jpg

at the end of the lane, went to unlock the free wheeling hubs and all the nuts and cone washers were loose. :shock:

and the hub was very hot. so we jacked it up until the wheel came off the ground and then gave the wheel a wobble.

the bearing was so loose/non existent that the wheel would move 2.5"s! :thumbdown:

so out came the tools, and in the snow and rain we stripped the free wheeling hub off, and tightened the bearing up as much as possible.

P3040072.jpg

P3040073.jpg

that got the movement down to about half an inch. so i limped the truck home at 40mph.

when i got home i jacked it up and checked how much movement there was. back to about 2.5"s. :thumbdown:

P3040074.jpg

it was a good day with some great mates despite the damage and mechanical failure. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing Ben
recognize some of those lanes from mountain biking them. Hope to drive some in May.
That hollinsclough looks a bit tricky.

Nice pics ben :thumbup:
Weather really wasnt good yesterday.

Holinsclough is tricky but a really nice lane andy. One of the best now in derbyshire id say

karl

thanks guys, was a great day. :dance:

just a shame we couldnt drive chapel gate. :thumbdown:

yes mate, loads of times! :cool:

first time was in the dark, about 4 years ago. :roll:

wed just finished the total off road route, and some of the lads we were with said theres a lane up there thats good, so off we went. :whistle:

it gradually got worse and worse until we got to a rock step that was a shear 4 foot drop! :shock:

had to pile a load of rocks up to make a ramp to get down. then after that there was a thin strip of tarmac down the middle about a foot wide, with a 5ft drop each side. had to keep one wheel on the tarmac for about 40 yards like that!

was a great lane to end that trip on. :twisted:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is a good lane.

Did you do the lane thats near buxton raceway? Thats suppose to be superb but we have yet to do it yet.

Karl

karl webster said:
Did you do the lane thats near buxton raceway? Thats suppose to be superb but we have yet to do it yet.
Is that Tenterhill Karl? nice little stone foot bridge by the side of a ford and then it gets a bit rocky as you go up the hill?

Nice :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Love the terrain :) Shame about the damage m8, but Hey Ho it's not embroidery our hobbie :)

Did he loose the hub?

Those lanes look just great, especially the rocky one :cool:

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="karl webster":12p6jeci]Did you do the lane thats near buxton raceway? Thats suppose to be superb but we have yet to do it yet.
Is that Tenterhill Karl? nice little stone foot bridge by the side of a ford and then it gets a bit rocky as you go up the hill?[/quote:12p6jeci]

Could well be Jon. I thinks its supose to be quite a tricky lane from what i was told. You drop down a windy lane open in in field and past a farm and buildings on the right hand side. Ill have to have a look on mmaps to see if i can find it.

Karl

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="karl webster":3bu6t1ki]Did you do the lane thats near buxton raceway? Thats suppose to be superb but we have yet to do it yet.
Is that Tenterhill Karl? nice little stone foot bridge by the side of a ford and then it gets a bit rocky as you go up the hill?[/quote:3bu6t1ki]

its a great lane but unfortunately i never got to drive it. :thumbdown:

we were talking about it at the weekend, and apparently its still open to trail bikes but not to 4x4's because the right of way is over the bridge and not through the ford, and apparantly the bridge isnt wide enough/strong enough to take 4x4's.

ive walked down the the little bridge, next to the derelict farm/house and theres some huge rock steps all the way down! :)

sae70 said:
Nice :mrgreen: :thumbup:

Love the terrain :) Shame about the damage m8, but Hey Ho it's not embroidery our hobbie :)

Did he loose the hub?

thanks. :)

yes he heard the hub go bang and stopped and picked it up. :thumbup:

ben said:
we were talking about it at the weekend, and apparently its still open to trail bikes but not to 4x4's because the right of way is over the bridge and not through the ford, and apparantly the bridge isnt wide enough/strong enough to take 4x4's.
I don't know anything about the legal status there but it seems strange to me that the RoW would be over the bridge, the ford would have been used first ... This is the bridge I'm thinking of:

[attachment=0:2cd4c2j8]DSCF0004.JPG[/attachment:2cd4c2j8]
ben said:
ive walked down the the little bridge, next to the derelict farm/house and theres some huge rock steps all the way down! :)
Don't you mean all the way UP :mrgreen:

Great pictures Ben,

Thanks fro showing.

My brother has some AVM manual locking hubs on one of his "off roaders"
he has sait they are the best he can get, and has not had any complains.
Any body else heard of AVM hubs?

Gra.

i guess there is not enough room to go down the lane to the bridge, turnaround, and go back up the hill?
found this lane on the map last night, i thought it was the "Hollinsclough" lane at first, but then found the "real" hollinsclough one a bit further SE.

AndyCook said:
Thanks for sharing Ben
recognize some of those lanes from mountain biking them. Hope to drive some in May.
That hollinsclough looks a bit tricky.

Hollinsclough is tricky but the route is so narrow that you only have a limited amount you can manoeuvre in. The most important issues are lots of ground clearance, no major overhang at the back and slowly does it. Also downhill is the prescribed route. Uphill will damage your motor and the lane. Please don't try it.

Roger

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/looking- ... les-routes

info on the "tenterhill" lane:
Hollinsclough – Washgates

This route is restricted in width to 4’6”. Vehicles of this width and more will not be able to use the route as it is too narrow.

We are aware that an incident took place on this route recently and have passed information onto the local police who are now closely monitoring the route.

Washgates map

Tenterhill (proper name Washgate Lane) crosses the River Dove at SK052673. Trailwise notes caution for 4x4's and horse drawn vehicles due to width. If you Google Earth and drop in on the spot you will find a nice picture of the bridge and ford with a stone pillar blocking exit/entry into the river.

Roger

Looks like you had a great day out. Some super pics there too, especially considering the conditions. Shame about the damage - but I suppose that is par for the course sometimes.... :| :)

John, i think exactly the same, that the ford would have been the right of way originally.

but the others in the group seemed adamant that the bridge is the right of way and that why the lane is closed/restricted to bikes.

apparently it was only ever used by trail bikes for years and years, then total off road magazine included it in there road book and suddenly loads of people were driving it.

the farmer was getting very p155ed off that people were damaging his walls and pulling them apart to put the stone under there tyres to try and get up the steps.

last time i looked to drive this there was a huge lump of stone blocking the lane next to the farm, and a road closed sign.

that was a year or 2 ago and havnt been back since. :)

Dave's blog of the trip. ;)

http://www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/return ... g_167.html

Back