Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol or diesel?

Overcruiser

Country Flag
uk
Got a chance to buy a 4.5 petrol LC 150k on the clock only reason im entertaining it is it has a LPG conversion so can handle the crap MPG.

are the petrol engines reliable? i know the diesels will always last longer but should i continue to look for a diesel?

your opinions please

:icon-biggrin::icon-biggrin:

Petrols great to drive but only expect the gas to give you about 11-12 actual mpg and petrol about 15-18. I've had 2, a 96 and a 98 and loved them both. They usually come in better condition than the diesels and a whole heap cheaper.

Love my petrol 80 without lpg :icon-biggrin: great strong engine.
I can get 20mpg without trying, that's lifted on 35's, free flow exhaust , ignition timing adjusted and it's been chipped.
Only reliability issue I've had was a poorly made 'performance' ht lead failed, now run magnecor leads. I broke the oxygen sensor off and the only thing it caused was horrendous mpg and it washed the bores so compression was down. New sensor and an oil change its as good as new.

Petrols great to drive but only expect the gas to give you about 11-12 actual mpg and petrol about 15-18. I've had 2, a 96 and a 98 and loved them both. They usually come in better condition than the diesels and a whole heap cheaper.

Thanks andy, would you say 150k is a lot for the petrol engine? would i expect a troublesome ownership?

Love my petrol 80 without lpg :icon-biggrin: great strong engine.
I can get 20mpg without trying, that's lifted on 35's, free flow exhaust , ignition timing adjusted and it's been chipped.
Only reliability issue I've had was a poorly made 'performance' ht lead failed, now run magnecor leads. I broke the oxygen sensor off and the only thing it caused was horrendous mpg and it washed the bores so compression was down. New sensor and an oil change its as good as new.

how many miles is yours on now gary?

Mines on just over 78k miles now maybe getting towards 79k

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The yanks seem to get a similar high milage out of there petrols as we do out of our diesels. Hg and phh seem to be there main problems.

150k in an 80 series is nothing, petrol or diesel.

Thanks andy, would you say 150k is a lot for the petrol engine? would i expect a troublesome ownership?

I wouldn't say it was high, there are plenty of Aussie ones with far more on than that and they seem ok. Remember they are old vehicles and all the parts are the same age.
I would suggest getting another 80 owner who has some knowledge and experience to view it with you who is in the area and help you along with the viewing. As I and countless other owners have found many 80's can be a disappointment when you get there so take your time, patience can be the key.

Head gasket, and there is a tiny heater hose thats nigh on impossible to get to without taking the head off. But dont let that put you off. Have a look at i8hmud.

The petrol engines don't give much trouble at all. If they did go wrong in a big way the cost is very small to buy another complete second hand engine.
If I didn't run on bio diesel I'm sure I'd have a petrol and run it on gas.

If the rest of the truck is in good condition I wouldn't worry about the milage, I'd say mine falls into the low milage bracket! 150k is still low miles when you consider the age of them.

The petrol engines don't give much trouble at all. If they did go wrong in a big way the cost is very small to buy another complete second hand engine.
If I didn't run on bio diesel I'm sure I'd have a petrol and run it on gas.

If the rest of the truck is in good condition I wouldn't worry about the milage, I'd say mine falls into the low milage bracket! 150k is still low miles when you consider the age of them.

Ok your swaying me lol, the truck does look very clean and hes done a good write up he says it has a 'decent service history' guess ill find out what that means when i call him

I would look at intended usage and let that sway my decision, the mileage capability/reliability on pretty much any Toyota engine is good IME and the 80 is no different. I was put off by the lack of LPG here in Spain and went for a diesel nearly five years ago, in the last couple of months they have JUST installed a local LPG tank....................just waiting to see how long it will be before it is commissioned :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

I would look at intended usage and let that sway my decision, the mileage capability/reliability on pretty much any Toyota engine is good IME and the 80 is no different. I was put off by the lack of LPG here in Spain and went for a diesel nearly five years ago, in the last couple of months they have JUST installed a local LPG tank....................just waiting to see how long it will be before it is commissioned :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

yea im not gonna be racking up miles in the last 3 years i've averaged 5k-8k per year so pretty damn low although i expect it to go up a bit as i wanna do some overland/camping trips to wales etc, i just think i was a redneck in a past life and just love 4x4s with big engines, its who i am lol

Just relised someone might take offence to the terminolagy redneck, i meant country music star

You've just got to resist temptation to floor it! It is amusing at the traffic lights tho :icon-twisted:

Back