Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Picadilly Wood 7th Nov

Ryan Thomson said:
Also trying to think of something to make the arches able to withstand a bit more abuse.
Removing them is the best way of protecting them :mrgreen:

I know, but i like my arches :oops:

To be honest though, i'm not too fussed about damaging the arches so much. But it would be nice if they could act like a slider and offer a bit more protection to the body.

Would using a winch have prevented the damage? Maybe that's the best way of protecting it ;)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Would using a winch have prevented the damage? Maybe that's the best way of protecting it ;)
Now there's a sales pitch. Honey, if I had a winch...

I don't think a winch would have helped much. I was trying to squeeze between two tree's, on a side slope. Slid into the tree wedging the mirror between the me and tree. I got out at this point to have a look. Tony was around, but we couldn't see anyway other than to drive it out.

I don't have any experience with winches, so there may have been a way to lessen the damage. Hmmm... maybe a winch workshop at the next lincomb :?:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
[quote="Jon Wildsmith":3bl3t00w]Would using a winch have prevented the damage? Maybe that's the best way of protecting it ;)
Now there's a sales pitch. Honey, if I had a winch...[/quote:3bl3t00w] :lol:

I just might try that for christmas.

This is one way around a tree on a side slope in the woods

PICT6332.jpg

Attachments

• PICT6332.jpg
    PICT6332.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 99
Tommo and I had the hi-lift out to try free me from the trees. The only decent place to pull from was using up about 12m of my 15 strap and tied a knot in to take up the rest. By the time we got any tension on it after taking up slack, we had run out of hi-lift. I think we managed to move it by a few cm but nothing major. You need a chain (ideal) or shorter strap or more time and rigging to make a huge difference.

Good idea though!

It can be handy to carry a ratchet strap as well so you can take up the slack to get another bite with the hi lift.

Paul said:
It can be handy to carry a ratchet strap as well so you can take up the slack to get another bite with the hi lift.

A good idea. With all the will in the world we could not get the strap tight enough before starting on the hi life. :violin:

And that is where the front and rear winch combo comes in. It's fantastic. OK OK, more money, but hey, we're only talking here. I sued it at Lincomb when I slid on a slope onto a tree. Going back and forth would have utterly ruined every side panel. I didn't have the patented CRJ sliders on then. Good sliders do save you a hell of a lit of problems. I particularly like Jon's roof sliders on his rack. That IS a good idea. Hmm, hydraulic tree sliders?

Chris

Videos finally sent to Crispin so hopefully they will be posted soon.

Damn good day but the continuous recovery started to grind after three hours. I managed to miss all the trees but got grounded on my tow bar yet again. Video of a Disco rescuing me.....will I ever live it down :?: This time a Disco, last time three V8 Range rovers and the time before was four Landrovers. At least when I get stuck I do it properly but Ryan beat me hands down this time :lol:

If you aint got lockers, raw power will have to do, eh!! Crispin :?:

Ecky Thump said:
If you aint got lockers, raw power will have to do, eh!! Crispin :?:

I do take back my mocking :oops:
Brute force and ignorance will get you most places

Chris said:
Well they certainly look like they were designed with protection in mind.
:thumbup: saves rubbing all down the side panels of the truck when you tip it into a tree :) slightly more refined than my 80 series version :lol:

A hand winch is the answer in muddy woods if you don't have front & rear powered winches. Put the rope through the winch, rig it and winch, no messing about with adjusting strap lengths etc. Even if you have a front winch the hand winch can be used to pull your back end around as you move forwards to keep it off the tree.

Some videos. Thanks Ecky Thump

Un-edited, just uploaded.

[youtube:1jeainn0]gB9scNQ-o3s[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]PYvwY9aHpEQ[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]F4GUf9gKpSA[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]4H63K-Evnl4[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]9hNGs7w4Zyw[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]3P33vQNu8vk[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]4xDWOex4eOg[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]5cI_vlJMYmY[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]KG0Fm1Wxx8U[/youtube:1jeainn0]

[youtube:1jeainn0]mFc1p34ctDk[/youtube:1jeainn0]

On video it sounds like me n Tony are competing for the loudest Cruiser.

I'm sure the camera makes mine sound louder :? It can't be that bad :shh: can it :?:

It does sound awsome :mrgreen: :p

Back