Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Picked this up last week

RBG21

Country Flag
uk
62B25A35-518E-47B6-ADD3-FE2F6B2608DD.jpeg
ADBE2A3A-3A3E-4B28-80A1-EEB483F73FCF.jpeg

It’s a Japanese import been over here quite a while, chassis is solid, there’s a little bit of surface rust but very solid overall so going to be wire brushing and waxoiling in the next couple of weeks.
One thing I’m not sure of is are most of the parts the same as the U.K. spec Colorado in terms of service parts, cam belts, brake pads, discs etc?.

Service parts will all be the same. You might have a variation on the aux drive belt, depending on if you have air-con or not. Running gear is identical worldwide, and often across Toyota models.. eg.. rear brake pads are the same on the 90, 80, 70 and some hilux models. Best of luck with it.

As it's a Japanese import, you might have an intercooler and an LSD instead of a rear locker too. Though all the main service parts and fluids should be the same.

There are several electronic part guides online that cover worldwide models but I concur with the above, I see lots of similarities with my petrol 90 and the USA 3rd gen 4runner and Tacoma.

This one is pretty good but does look like a 90s website!

Roughtrax parts will be found under KZJ90 , and if its not i stock its always worth searching KDJ90 because only the engine/dash is different .

90 means 3 door , 95 means 5 door .

Thanks for your help and that site, really helpful.
Is there a good place in the U.K. to get bits for a Prado from, I’m probably going to look after it myself so wouldn’t mind giving it a full service, timing belt and change the diff and atf oils just for peace of mind.
It looks so much easier to work on than my other 4x4 (I’ve also got a 2007 Range Rover TDV8 which I think I might get rid of, really liking the Prado so far!)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks very tidy & a really good colour , especially with the tinted rear windows .For parts i have used Roughtrax for years, 5 star customer service & really knowledgeable.Just ring en up & tell em what you've got , i'm sure they'll be happy to chat.

Thanks for that, I’m going to get a service kit ordered.
Am I right in thinking the cam belt is pretty easy on these it looks much easier than other cars I’ve had!!.
Only other thing I might need is a new AC compressor as the bearings were quite noisy but I think it was from lack of use.
I put some WD40 onto the clutch part and let it soak, it’s been fine since but might get another one, I’d have thought the AC compressor out of a Colorado would be the same too?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam belt is a half hour job, very straight forward. There's a good video on YouTube from Australia which helps too. I have no experience with A/C.. not on my truck

I had the cambelt done at my local garage & he said that it literally took only half an hour & that the aux belts took the same ! His top tip was to take out the LH battery (2 x 12 V on my UK spec 95 VX ) .not sure which side the battery is on a J spec prado ?

The battery is on the offside on mine, I don’t have the 2 battery setup.
I will get some pics of under the engine bay at some point and post them up, would be interesting to see the differences between it and U.K. spec.
I’m actually quite looking forward to working on it because everything looks well thought out and there is space.
My other car is a complete pig to work on there’s so little room!.

Cracking little motor that i think the 90/95 is one of the best looking designs of the LC ever, neat from all angles, yes the Diesel cambelt has to be the easiest belt to change ever, real timing marks too none of that locking kit rubbish.
Unusual grill though, don't Prados usually have horizontal bars?

Hi - I have a UK Colorado KZJ95R with aircon. I found it impossible to fit the recommended AC belt (AVX13x1175) - it was just too short. I couldn’t fit it even if I completely removed the tensioner. Others don’t seem to have this problem....??? I went for the next size up AVX13x1200 which fits perfectly and has plenty of adjustment available.
I use Roughtrax almost exclusively and find them competitive, fast and helpful.

Juddian, maybe the OP will confirm, as it's an import it may be the TZ with a different grill.

Back to the AC Belt, recommended Gates’ part number is 6477MC (which is what RoughTrax sells) but I prefer the slightly longer 6478MC (which they don’t have).

Here are a couple of quick pics under the bonnet:
F7F22E73-89FE-4ED8-A386-EAFC3DEEB0C2.jpeg
00BD35AD-8D32-461F-A212-CB9FD1F395A5.jpeg

It does have an inter cooler, I’m not sure if this effects power at all?, I’d assume it would be the same 123 BHP as the U.K. version?.
It does feel adequate whatever power it makes though.

It’s a KD-KZ J90W model
And engine model is 1KZ-TE.

I’m completely new to Toyota codes so have no idea what that means!.

Its a kzj90 , the are all the same apart from bolt on goodies like your intercooler which is a big bonus :thumbup:

I have that same grill on my UK spec kzj90 but square glass headlights . Your recessed circular headlights are a bit of a mystery , i think its the RX 90 sold to Russia always had them but maybe not because they do seem randomly here and there .

90 series spec is all over the place random , a bargain basement GX might have a sunroof and rear heater while the luxury VX version has neither , then theres the wide or narrow body but its all just bolt on parts of the same vehicle .

Aircon , i think theres 4 different set ups each needing a different belt and i can't remember now why but one was something to do with the "optional" idle up switch .

If i remember i will post a pic tomorrow of the belt options .

Thanks for the info it's really helpful :thumbup:, I'm not actually that keen on the headlights, wouldn't mind swapping them out for the square Colorado style ones at some point.
I've also got the original Japanese stereo which only goes from 76-90 FM which is a bit annoying in this Country but a bit unsure about changing it for a new one as I'd quite like to keep it fairly original.
Those spots dotted around on the engine was when I put some WD40 on the front of the AC compressor clutch, thankfully it has freed it off now, I'm hoping if I do need a new compressor at some point one of a Colorado might fit.

I'm really loving the look of how easy this engine looks to work on, this is what I've been used to in recent times, not enough room to swing a cat!.

Attachments

• IMG_6750.jpeg
    IMG_6750.jpeg
    425.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I fitted that same intercooler onto my UK spec 90 and i'd be very surprised if the a/c was any different at all .

Back