Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Play in the front wheel, not tie rods, steering rack bushings?

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
Theres a bit of play in my front wheel when I grab it in the 3 and 9 position. I've a new inner tie rod and outer track rod on the cruiser and the play is still there. When Ive the outer track rod balljoint disconnected from the hub and try to push/pull the entire track rod struts I cant detect any play so I think the rack end is ok?
Ive also happen to have a new lower balljoint fitted to this side of the cruiser too.

So where can the play be coming from, could the rack mounting bushings cause it? Or a wheel bearing? Can the bearings on a 90 cruiser be adjusted? Whats the most likely culprit?

Thanks in advance.

If you lie under the truck with the wheel in the air and move it, can you see the rack moving? Have you checked the hub nut? If it isn't that, and you can't find play in the rack itself, I'm guessing it's the wheel bearing.

Edit: Also check all the bolts on the new lower ball joint - I replaced one that came with its own new bolts that were too short for my liking so I re-used the original bolts.

Last edited:
If you lie under the truck with the wheel in the air and move it, can you see the rack moving? Have you checked the hub nut? If it isn't that, and you can't find play in the rack itself, I'm guessing it's the wheel bearing.

Edit: Also check all the bolts on the new lower ball joint - I replaced one that came with its own new bolts that were too short for my liking so I re-used the original bolts.

The play was there before I replaced the balljoint and track rods, I used the original balljoint bolts. The hub nut is tight aswell.
So I guess from what you suggest, that leaves us with the wheel bearing and the rack, I havnt checked to see movement in the rack when the wheel is shaken but I will when I get a helper. Good thinking. Out of interest aswell, are the wheel bearings adjustable on these, I know on the Mitsubishi L200's the front wheel bearings are adjustable with their design of the adjustable locking ring plate, etc, but they have no big central hub nut like the cruiser does, so is there no adjustment on the cruiser bearings apart from tightening the big central hub nut? In that case, if its not the rack and we suspect the bearing is it a matter of fitting a new bearing as opposed to adjusting? The joys of motoring :)

I don't think the bearing is adjustable on these. Also check to see if there is movement in the top ball joint. And lets not forget the lower control arm bushes... A long pry bar is your best friend when trying to find the movement. Jack the wheel into the air, stick the chassis on an axle stand and then get under there and try and move everything and anything with the pry bar.

Back