Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pocket Handwarmers

Ecky Thump

Garage
I've always had a soft spot for gadgets and in this weather a hand warmer can be a god send if you are stuck outside.
For a number of years I have used this one
Handwarmer-Charcoal.jpg

Very good at what it does but two downfalls
1. It only lasts a couple of hours and has to have a new charcoal rod.
2. If you are meeting members of the public and in uniform, smelling like a bonfire is not best.

I have tried the disposable and rechargeable ones. The disposable just seems a waste of cash to me and the rechargeable ones don't last long enough.
Handwarmer-Disposable.jpg

Handwarmer-Reuseable.jpg

I have now bought the Zippo petrol one. Very impressed at first use with 10.5 hours of continuous heat. The bumf says 12 hours on a full fill but I have only used it once so far. Not as hot as the charcoal one but impressive all the same. Going to try an experiment , leaving it on the dashboard over night to see if it assists on icy mornings :?:
Handwarmer-Zippo.jpg

I know it's a silly post but I like my toys :D

Me too Les, and I have tried all of those warmers too. The liquid fuel one I never got to work. It kept going out. The charcoal on is great and will last quite a long time but is a faff and tends to go out for no reason. Probably O2 starvation. The disposable ones take so long to get going that you need to start them in Summer just in case there is a day in Winter where your hands are cold, by which time they've finished. I am on the reusable ones now and I think they are best of all. They heat up instantly, last a good while and having two, I drop one in each glove. Very impressed. OK you have to boil them to reset them, but I like those. Mine are a different make to yours though.

Chris

I've got a petrol powered one too, don't know what make, probably Chinese, one of eBays finest :lol: I use it constantly when I'm out shooting a few arrows :arrow: . It's started by pressing the button top right which uses a battery to heat an element to initiate the process, it can be turned off by turning the cap round to shut off the 'tank' where the petrol is. One time I let it heat until the fuel ran out and it lasted 15 hours :thumbup:
6000002.jpg

Are these "gadgets" set on fire and then put in your pockets!?!? :shock:

Naturally. Ok you can slip them down your pants, but it's not considered polite to do so in public, so Les tells me.

C

fridayman said:
I'd also like to know. Not sure that heat+petrol is something I every thought of having in my pocket.

How do they work?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Naturally. Ok you can slip them down your pants, but it's not considered polite to do so in public, so Les tells me.

C
What the public don't know wont harm them :lol:
fridayman said:
Yes Et you do :!: Only just got the Zippo one and you don't know it's lit until you feel the heat i.e. you can't see it glowing so god knows how it actually works :?:
Cossack said:
I've got a petrol powered one too, don't know what make, probably Chinese, one of eBays finest :lol: I use it constantly when I'm out shooting a few arrows :arrow: . It's started by pressing the button top right which uses a battery to heat an element to initiate the process, it can be turned off by turning the cap round to shut off the 'tank' where the petrol is. One time I let it heat until the fuel ran out and it lasted 15 hours :thumbup:
6000002.jpg
Wish I'd seen this one before, a lot less faffing than the Zippo and can be turned off........Cool :!:

and prettier too Les :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crispin said:
fridayman said:
I'd also like to know. Not sure that heat+petrol is something I every thought of having in my pocket.

How do they work?
It's all done with mirrors :lol: , no, it's some sort of catalytic action.

Back