Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pop-top rooftent for 80 series

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
Hi All

I've been looking for some time now to get a pop-top rooftent for my 80, its the one thing the likes of Alu Cab not catered for. I have now located a supplier who does do an alu pop-top tent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RoNCiEauGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NnV3Dnfgg

I've as yet not make contact with the company but from what I've read online it looks like he would be keen to do a discounted multi-buy. So I'm keen to hear back from you 80 owners how many would be interested. Surely the carriage from the States would be cheaper if we can get it together. Let me know gents.

The french chap does it in polyurethane, I'm after alu. Any idea what the German chap charges?

I'm really interested in one, but I'm not interested in the prices I've seen at all.:eusa-snooty:

I fully intend to make my own, how hard can it be on half the budget of say an allucab?

Agreed. I like the version the OP posted as it looks like it clamps to the gutter rails. The trick will be in making the design waterproof.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Contact Allchin (Stephen) on here, he had his 80 done 3 or 4 years ago in Germany, and I know he's done some serious miles in it since, Russia, Canada to South America etc. He can tell you how the pop top has done

Andy

Aye + shipping tax, fitting etc... I heard £8k and you had to go to Germany for a week to have it fitted :laughing-rolling:

I've got an autodome clam shell RTT on atm so there's no big rush, but it makes the truck too high for say Cornish lanes, and I'd really like a diesel heater which would be far too much faff without a roof conversion. Gullwings & ally storage first, redesign interior second, which will involve getting tooled up to weld ally, then I'll take a serious look at a roof conversion. Out of all the ones I've seen, the Allucab seems the best design as the bed lifts up for interior headroom, and has a rear sitting shelf in the tent, but the tent material doesn't seem as good as the stuff my autodome is made from, so I'd go for something similar to that.

I'm not sure about the "professional" conversions as far as body shell strengthening/rollover goes either (as in it looks to be completely lacking) the design I've got to (in my head) so far involves welding in a steel frame in 25mm box around the hole, bracing up struts to the uprights, the bed frame would sit on that, main structure could clamp to it, not sure about gutter mounting as it spoils the lines of the 80.

2500mm x 1250mm x 4mm thick - aluminium sheet
£185.52

Last edited:
The tent material in the Alucab is loads better than the Autohome, the other weekend in Wiltshire mine was watertight and the Autohome next-door leaked lol

The tent material in the Alucab is loads better than the Autohome, the other weekend in Wiltshire mine was watertight and the Autohome next-door leaked lol

through the material or the crap design of the zips and flaps?

I looked at an older allucab at the overland show, much staining, that's what put me off, the material on the autodome is ripstop, seems more durable, it's also plasticised so you can wipe it clean, but I guess time will tell!

Aye + shipping tax, fitting etc... I heard £8k and you had to go to Germany for a week to have ifitted :laughing-rolling:

I've got an autodome clam shell RTT on atm so there's no big rush, but it makes the truck too high for say Cornish lanes, and I'd really like a diesel heater which would be far too much faff without a roof conversion. Gullwings & ally storage first, redesign interior second, which will involve getting tooled up to weld ally, then I'll take a serious look at a roof conversion. Out of all the ones I've seen, the Allucab seems the best design as the bed lifts up for interior headroom, and has a rear sitting shelf in the tent, but the tent material doesn't seem as good as the stuff my autodome is made from, so I'd go for something similar to that.

I'm not sure about the "professional" conversions as far as body shell strengthening/rollover goes either (as in it looks to be completely lacking) the design I've got to (in my head) so far involves welding in a steel frame in 25mm box around the hole, bracing up struts to the uprights, the bed frame would sit on that, main structure could clamp to it, not sure about gutter mounting as it spoils the lines of the 80.

2500mm x 1250mm x 4mm thick - aluminium sheet £185.52

my roof tent is an alu hard shell. The main reason I got it was because the floor can be cut out of it and the tent then grafted ontop the truck :)

Agreed, very happy with the tent material used with the Alucab poptop.

i pretty sure you'll find build threads on both expedition portal and ih8mud.

Back