Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power steering system rattle

Nuclear Chicken

I've a bit of steering rattle in my 120. I'll try to describe it as a rattle that, when driving over say, a cobbled type surface, in the straight ahead position, i.e. with no power steering load on the rack, I can feel a bit of rattle at the base of the steering column. Or it feels like it is there. On a normal road in normal driving there is nothing. It's sounds to me like a little bit of play in the rack that is only perceptible when the power steering pump is more or less unloaded. Fluid level, as far as I can tell, is fine. Any suggestions and if so is it a DIY job? :?: :?:

And on the fluid subject, is it normal/ hard/ necessary to replace the fluid in a power steering system? :?: :?: :idea: I'm at 83k miles or thereabouts and 2004 LWB model.

I don't know how the 120 is set up. It could be play in the rack itself, or in the bush's the rack is mounted on. You probably need to get it up on axle stands and see if you can reproduct the noise by wiggling either the wheels or the steering wheel and then try to trace the noice by eye and ear.

Right. I now know what the rattle is. It's the UJ on 'steering shaft sub-assy No.2'. Looks like it is just worn a bit. I had father-i-law play with steering wheel whilst I had a good look about. Not a major issue I suppose but it is more annoying than anything. As with lots of things Toyota I've discovered, it's part of a lager assy and the UJ can't be replaced on its own. :( Wasteful and unnecessarily expensive if you ask me. :roll:

Need to contact Ian now for a replacement cost. :pray: :pray:

Anyone ever replaced such a part? It's the last piece of the steering column that connects pretty much directly onto the rack splined shaft. Calling Mr B Murphy per chance?

Good that you've found it. You going to take some pics while you replace ;) Would be interesting to see.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
i had similar rattle on my lc90.
i tracked it down to inside the rack, below where the steering shaft enters the rack,

there is a huge lock-ring on rear side of the rack, i loosened that and nipped up the big adjuster bolt/plug a tiny bit, and locked up locknut again - that stopped rattle for me
its a preload adjuster for the rack

Matbe it's a bit of a weakness of sorts. Seems odd to have a 'dry' UJ in there exposed to the elements and so on. Anyway, will report back further when I have had a look and I get a part price from Ian.

Back