Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Powershot 2000

nathanrobo

Guys

There's a product called powershot 2000 that is designed for diesel cars (adds about 30% more power or fuel efficiency - you can take it either way - I'd go for the power).

Anyway a guy from Bulgaria who's buying some stuff from me has one (it's new from the states - he bought 3 but then sold his 3rd car).

Apparently it injects propane to compliment the diesel.

Question is should I fit it to my 100 series? Anyone used one?

photo.jpg

I looked at the system about 7 or 8 years ago.

The lpg is injected in at a low pressure ( 1 - 1.5psi), the diesel ignites, this in turn ignites the propane - because the propane is a gas it 'levels' itself and allows the diesel to burn more efficiently, although the increase in power must also be because you are adding extra btu's to the process.

The lpg has to be a gas, so in extremely cold environments it may not be ideal, but as propane boils at -44 I doubt this is a problem for most parts of the world!

Mine was an american truck, and the kit was popular in the states, only downside was extra head temp, but that tended to be where the pressure was tweaked upwards too far.

It certainly gave extra power, not sure about extra mpg though, a sthe propane is injected in addition to the diesel, as opposed to instead of like in an lpg petrol conversion.

Could you not just add a cetane booster? No need for outlay on equipment then.

Pete

Propane injection is great. Very popular in OZ, where they've even had government grant for installing this in your diesel car.
Best with a system which adjusts the amount of gas to the current conditions (computer controlled), as opposed to an on/off system which is more common in the US, and for bigger engines.

This has been around for maaany years. Gives higher power with less wear, cleaner engine, lower consumption, quieter engine. A win-win-win-win deal. The fuels help each other burning more completely with less soot, giving higher yield; and since they start and finish in succession, it runs smoother as well. Only drawback is the gas installation with a tank, having to fill up two fuels, and possibly the legality of modifying the vehicle. Around here, it costs a lot to have it installed by an approved installer.

Hmm I already use cetane booster (about 1200ppm with 100% biodiesel).

It has to be said that although I've read posts moaning about the performance on the 100 series, since I had my IP stripped cleaned (blocked internal filter), rebuilt and re calibrated and the injectors sonically cleaned / tested a couple of years back, my LC really shifts (could be the Bioboost 1000). So whilst the increased power would be amusing, with something so big, you couldn't practically use the additional power without killing someone. So I'd have to be sure of the MPG payback.

Legality could be an issue here, not sure what the insurance would say either.

I spoke to a guy in Devon about doing it to the 120. It added about 20-25% increased MPG which for the cost (A few grand IIRC) was not worth it for me. He admitted that it is only worth it in the UK on trucks which do many miles. I can get 20% better MPG by using slightly less loud pedal. :)

A self-fit might be worth it though?

Crispin said:
I spoke to a guy in Devon about doing it to the 120. It added about 20-25% increased MPG which for the cost (A few grand IIRC) was not worth it for me. He admitted that it is only worth it in the UK on trucks which do many miles. I can get 20% better MPG by using slightly less loud pedal. :)

A self-fit might be worth it though?

I've given up on the idea... I'm selling my 100 series. Need a change!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back