Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

PPS Progressive Power Steering

Chris Green90

Garage
Country Flag
england
Evening chaps.

Not sure how much interest this will be to you all but after a contrafabulation with Chris this morning I though I'd post a little about it.

Now I couldn't tell you weather all 80's have this all I know is that the 12 and 24 I have in the yard do. There is a solenoid on the steering rack activated by the speed sensor. What it does is...I assume is increase the pressure in the system at speeds under 37mph to make the steering lighter. Quite clever really.

123_zpse9a45f16.png

I'm fairly certain my old girl doesn't have PPS.

It's a 1995 GX European spec HZJ 80, and I was lucky to get a cigar lighter, let alone PPS. I note that mine has drum rear brakes (for example) whereas the UK spec 80s are disc rear brakes with a drum handbrake.

There's no wood trim, no cruise control, no seat belts in the middle or third row and of course no leather, in fact a lot of the UK standard stuff is missing.

Upside, it does have all 3 lockers, dual batteries, AC & sunroof and that was enough creature comforts for me :icon-biggrin:

P.S. I take it you meant steering "box" when you said "rack" otherwise I'm a steering rack missing as well :lol:

Last edited:
It's listed as OE on the diesel 80's, (both GX and VX) in the 1997 sales brochure so all the later, Amazon badged diesels will have it.

P.S. I take it you meant steering "box" when you said "rack" otherwise I'm a steering rack missing as well :lol:

Thanks for that Clive. You need to remember I'm a 90 boy at heart. lol only just starting to get used to all this 80 series jargon. Still need to decide what "Dirty Gal" is now KZJ 89 or 98 not sure which way to go maybe even a 110 series

Last edited:
Thanks for that Clive. You need to remember I'm a 90 boy at heart. lol only just starting to get used to all this 80 series jargon. Still need to decide what "Dirty Gal" is now KZJ 89 or 98 not sure which way to go maybe even a 110 series

She's a hybrid, that's for sure and I'm gutted I won't be at Lincomb to see her going through the paces. Please get some vids of her antics :pray:

Back