Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado 90 Automatic transmission - delayed enagagement

The suction control valves are a pair, red and green. Not hugely difficult to change, but the area must be scrupulously clean. As for testing I'm not sure even a resistance test will tell you if they work properly as they can work intermittently and then cause the symptoms you describe. As for the autobox stuff, I'm in the dark, as they are witchcraft...

The suction control valves are a pair, red and green. Not hugely difficult to change, but the area must be scrupulously clean. As for testing I'm not sure even a resistance test will tell you if they work properly as they can work intermittently and then cause the symptoms you describe. As for the autobox stuff, I'm in the dark, as they are witchcraft...

thanks.

I had a look under the bonnet - went Hmm. I found the valves in a dirty environment! At least they're accessible at the top! I could have a go at this, it might work or I could make a big mess. I'm going to look for some help. Thanks for the pointer.

One recent observation is that lag becomes greater when AC is on. Do you think that might have anything to do with the suction control valves?

Turning of the AC makes car a bit snappier, however the problem is still there..

OK. SCVs are replaced with new - case closed, Cruiser is back in the game.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation.

If anyone needs any information around this issue and I can help - message me.

Last edited:
It's really a new lease of life.. I reckon they deteriorate slowly over time reducing performance until they start sticking. Then you get a much snappier truck after they've been changed.

A few more of these coming to light lately as more trucks get a bit of mileage on them

Well, I think the ATF to be used if Toyota ATF Type T-IV. I have suffered such a problem for a very long time up until yesterday. I've realized I have a faulty throttle body and throttle position sensor(TPS). so I adjusted the position of the TPS and refitted everything else back. I tested it but realized there is still some little lag. But when revving I could hear the turbo atleast. I then adjusted the kickdown cable with respect to the user manual. After a drive in the evening the car went a little faster than usual. Previously I've had issues with the gearbox, had it changed to 30-40LE. At some point after a short drive it could flush the O/D light. So I thought there was a solenoid problem. Turns out the problem was just adjustment of the kickdown cable. Do contact me for any more details

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a similar problem with my Prodo 5door 90 series, but my problem is when I take a fresh start in the morning the gear shift's with a jerk and keep repeating every time I accelerate till such time the I have traveled 2-3 kilometers after that the shifting is smooth. It just happens on a cold start.

I have a similar problem with my Prodo 5door 90 series, but my problem is when I take a fresh start in the morning the gear shift's with a jerk and keep repeating every time I accelerate till such time the I have traveled 2-3 kilometers after that the shifting is smooth. It just happens on a cold start.
Was your problem solved? My automatic jerks when I hit throttle on higher speeds, when I apply the throttle, I get a huge hit from somewhere....

Sounds like some sort of drivetrain lash ^

Back