Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Jureb

I've got to change my ATF for the first time in my 95 prado. I'm only doing the regular change and not flushing or changing the filter. I don't know which ATF the previous owner used and I'm wondering which ATF is recommended. It came to my mind that maybe it's not the best to mix different ATFs. Maybe there's synthetic ATF or some other spec ATF in my autobox right now and I was thinking of putting Dexron III in it - as the manual says. Is mixing them inadvisable, since the majority of the old ATF will remain in the autobox after the change? Unless I do a full flush I have high chances I will mix 2 different ATF specs together.

Valvoline says mixing isn't bad: Car Fluid FAQs: Transmission Fluid, Oil - Valvoline™ Global - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club].

I have mixed and had no problems. I think unless you've only used Toyota OEM dexron iii since the vehicle was made then it's impossible to avoid.

Thank you. How much ATF do you reckon it will come out? I will let it drip for an hour or something.

The Haynes manual and Toyota manual say 2l for a drain and fill. But from my own experience these transmissions are easy to overfill as the dipstick is hard to get a reliable repeatable reading on. So get ready for up to 4l to come out. I think the system has about 9l or 10l in total.

Remember you have to use the dipstick when hot with the motor running.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you fill it up through the dipstick hole?

Use a converted garden sprayer with the sprayer bit removed. Fill with the measured ammount required, put the pipe inside the dipstick pipe and pump, in it goes.

I saw a guy on youtube using this long funnel. Got to make sure it fits into the hole.
funnel.png

You can buy a garden pump thing, but stronger, that is made for oils. I have two, one for atf and one for gear oil. Everytime I change the engine oil, I suck out atf through the dipstick hole, and replace with the same quantity. Atf is cheap.

You can buy a garden pump thing, but stronger, that is made for oils. I have two, one for atf and one for gear oil. Everytime I change the engine oil, I suck out atf through the dipstick hole, and replace with the same quantity. Atf is cheap.
I have Aldi's cheapest oil pump which I use for gear oil, it's surprisingly good, way quicker and easier than hand pumping.

I drained the ATF and only about 2.6L came out. I let it drain for 24h. I removed the airbox and used a basic funnel to pour new atf into the dipstick hole.

I've just done mine for the second time in three weeks, just to try to make sure there is more new fluid than old. Around 2.5l comes out each time. I just fill through the dip stick with a funnel jamed in the top. No problems.

Back