Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Prado Rear Diff

stage1v8

Hi Folks,

I have been asked by a mate to help out changing the oil in the rear diff of his Prado.

I need to work out what type of oil will be needed and how much.

The vehicle model is kd-kzj95w-ggpst

I understand that this model came with an optional LSD so also wanted to check how to tell the difference and if there is a different type of oil needed.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

not sure on the oil but make sure you get the refill plug out first.

a long breaker bar is best.

not sure on the oil but make sure you get the refill plug out first.

a long breaker bar is best.

Good grief - it's only meant to be set to 49Nm on both drain and refill plugs - enough to set the crush washer, nothing more really. Hopefully it's not too bad. You'll need about 3litres of GLI5 gear oil - I got some Fuchs Titan semi-synthetic from Opie Oils and it's been great.

Check the magnet to see what it's caught - hopefully no chunks of anything :)

Don't forget to replace the crush washers - or 'gaskets' as Mr T calls them - then you won't need to bopa them up so tight!

For the LSD - there is either a label on the diff still (unlikely) or the VIN will tell you - there's an online VIN decoder somewhere ...

Have fun filling it - funnel and long hose works fairly well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

I suspect the diff oil hasn't been changed in a long time (if ever) so I may need my long breaker bar.

I have a fair bit of experience of working on 50's & 60's vintage 4x4s so used to trying to get drain and filler plugs out that haven't moved in a while.

My main tip is to wire brush the head of the filler plug till it's sparkling clean and get something on there (socket or ring spanner) that is a perfect fit. They are very thin (flat) and you only get one chance. If they are tight and you shag the flats up, you will be into chisel territory. I have a 24 mm socket faced off in the lathe. This gets rid of the internal bevel on the inside of the socket providing a nice full contact.

If it's a Parado most likely an LSD, but just look on the dash for a rear locker dial. If there isn't one, it kinda points to an LSD

If you want to find out if It's got an LSD, jack both sides of the rear up and turn one wheel, if the other rotates in the same direction it has one, if it goes the other way it hasn't. As for oil you can get ep90 with friction modifier already mixed in.
Don't use a breaker bar as you run the risk of stripping the thread if it's rusted in or very tight.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back