Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Preparedness???????

BlackBetty

Country Flag
south_africa
As this is an open forum I thought I would take a shot in the dark and ask you all your views on preparedness. As keen off roaders I am sure that most, if not all of you have a certain amount of gear / equipment in your respective vehicles in anticipation for an eventuality. This could and is not necessarilly limited to a few more tools than a simple car jack and wheel spanner, a tow rope, a flashlight, a warm weather proof jacket, hi vis vest and the list goes on.........
Now I know that most of that what I have listed is a legal requirment to travel abroad but honestly I believe that each of you think you will list a fair few extra items in your vehicles in preparation for an event.

Now the question is, by virtue of the above does this make us what is now commonly known as PREPPERS?

If so, then I would like to think that as a group of which most of us have some form of contact with each other, make us a group that could stand together and support each should the need arise.
Now at no point am I instigating a doomsday prophecy but opening a discussion and hope for some input for the members of the forum on the subject.

Thank you

Every time the government/AA/RAC/Police etc. put out one of these list of things to carry in your vehicle during bad weather I always think "why do we need to be told this? Am I the only one with enough common sense to see that these things are useful to be carried ALL THE TIME?!"

As a membr of Wessex 4x4 Response (and other response teams in previous years) I carry kit that most would probably see as a bit overkill but there have been too many occasions where I have had to use my kit to help others less prepared (read that as stupid/ignorant/crazy or all of the above). I probably shouldnt say this as a responder our duty is to help any way we can but there have been numerous times when Ive been sorely tempted to let darwinism take place.......... why do they call it common sense when it is so rare? :p

I would imagine you would be correct that most of us on this forum would be better prepared than most and I would also bet that we would most likely be willing to support each other and our communities should the need arise.

Last edited:
Yeah, have to say that wherever I go, I always have my front and rear winches. Never leave home with less than three difflocks. Keep a spare 37" tyre handy on the back door.

But besides that, all the recovery kit you could dream of, on board power, on board air, means of making hot water oh and ice cubes. Puncture repair / tyre changing kit, shackles, 30 m extensions, electrical spares, full tool kit, fuel, wood burning stove. Roof tent, awning and of course the Sat phone.

Hmm, I suppose it is Winter. I shall see what extras I can rummage up in the morning. Best be prepared. Now in case of a zombie epoxy-lipse, I have always wondered whether I should take the pump action or the semi automatic rifle with the 25 round magazines?

Chris

Doesn't it depend on where you are going?
In some cases you can just walk home, or walk into the nearest house, or the AA will come around. But there are mountain passes and conditions where you would certainly not survive e.g. a leak in you fuel tank without preparing for such an event.

Yeah, have to say that wherever I go, I always have my front and rear winches. Never leave home with less than three difflocks. Keep a spare 37" tyre handy on the back door.

But besides that, all the recovery kit you could dream of, on board power, on board air, means of making hot water oh and ice cubes. Puncture repair / tyre changing kit, shackles, 30 m extensions, electrical spares, full tool kit, fuel, wood burning stove. Roof tent, awning and of course the Sat phone.

Hmm, I suppose it is Winter. I shall see what extras I can rummage up in the morning. Best be prepared. Now in case of a zombie epoxy-lipse, I have always wondered whether I should take the pump action or the semi automatic rifle with the 25 round magazines?

Chris
:lol:
I liked that!

Semi Automatic, with the pump action as back up would be my choice:violence-ak47: :violence-axechase:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't think AA covers Zombie attacks.

You're probably right. Stick to open ground and use the pump action in tight spaces.

Thanks Neil. Sorted.

Chris

It all depends if they are running zombies or the old style slow walking zombies, semi auto rifle for the fast ones as you want to spend less time reloading and shotgun for the slow ones as you can take you time and line up more then one zombie per shot. Don't forget the molotovs and pipe bombs Chris.

That's the "Always In The Truck" list whenever I go offroad. Mind you, offroad here means heading right across the bush, a couple of hundred kilometers or more from the closest piece of asphalt, and a few hours from camp.

Recovery gear (hi-lift, straps, winch, jack, spade, pickax, hoe, ax, etc.)
Full toolbox, enough to be able to drop the gearbox or some other major repairs
epoxy, duct tape, steel wool, gauze (great for fixing rad leaks with epoxy), gasket silicone
Electrical tools, wires, tester, connectors, etc.
A bag of bolts, nuts, washers, screws, collars, wire-straps, hoses, and odd bits and pieces
2 spares of each belt type on the engine
2 spare wheels, compressor, tyre repair kit (tubeless), one new tyre tube
3lt of drinking water per person, plus 20lt reserve
40lt diesel reserve (140lt in tanks when full), brake fluid, engine oil, ATF for the steering
Blankets, mosquito nets, rain gear, change of clothes, spare shoes, spare socks
Food for one-two days, kettle, coffee, tea, powder milk, cooking pot
Rifles and ammo
First aid kit with trauma kit, antibiotics, anti-malaria, anti-lots-of-things, stitching kit and superglue (works wonders to close wounds that otherwise would require stitching)

Yes Philip blah blah blah, but what rifles? Rob has raised a really valid point here. Are they your old style George A Romero walkers or 28 days Later ragers? I really hadn't thought that through. I am now thinking .30 cal Browning on the roof. I was only thinking about capacity V penetration. Like the old Tremors argument - yes?. But Rob has thrown that all up in the air. OK what about frags?

Rob, damn you. Damn you all to hell ...........

Chris

Would have to be an AA-12. Does the damage of a shotgun without having to worry about reloading. :D

Chris, "rifles" starts with a .375 H&H as basic requirement (need that if something bigger than your truck decides that it doesn't like you, happens once in a while), and a .22 if available (best thing ever invented to keep meat on the fire). Add whatever else is lying around, but truth be told most of the time we also have one or two AK along: operating in a corner between South Sudan, Northern Kenya, and North-East Uganda, you do need some negotiating argument at hand just in case.

Now, when the truck is only going to the shopping mall or to the next town, the whole list decreases dramatically, and the artillery stays home...

Except if its sunny SA where the artillery goes with, just downsized to a 9mm or nice 10mm /.40 Sig or Glock (yes CJ I know you don't rate the Glock but it works mostly :lol; )

In Zim we usually had .308 and a .22 hornet, a .410 for the kids and a 12guage for guinea fowl :lol: Good times! (and the 7.62 FN for anti-people!)

Yes, Gary - Glocks are the work of the devil, but remember we are talking about the very real threat of Zombies here. I think that on balance .22 might be the best overall. They only need a single tap to the head to put them down you know. Phil .375 is lovely, but unless we have Zombie elephants (OK it may happen) I think that the ammo would be too much to carry. Mag capacity isn't really enough if there is a bit of a rush on. AK could be handy though OK bring that. Gary, had a .40. Liked it a lot, better round than a 9mm. But still possibly more than needed. Problem with the .22 round is that it can be a bit unreliable sometimes - light strikes, failures to eject etc.

Paul, got my Zombie permit mate. It's stuck on the gun cabinet at the second. I joined the official Zombie outbreak control unit here in the UK. We're very dedicated. And of course - prepped.

Chris

Sounds like a .222 Hornet then with 30 round mags :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Everything you need to know about zombie apocalypse tactics can be learnt in these 2 games: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2487/

Works for mac and PC, and currently on sale for the next 5 hours.

One of the more interesting weapons is the chainsaw and frying pan for close combat, so we need to add that to the list. I suppose a maglight would work as well, its all about maximising the usability of all the kit you take with you.

Last edited:
All well and good lads, but can I raise a potential problem.

You are all prepping to be a 'survivor', but what prepping are you doing in the eventuality of being part of the zombie undead hord ?

I often think that if better prepared, the zombies would have turned the tables in many of the films ie whilst still alive, practice basic tactics such as grabbing in pairs, outflanking survivors and better use of hiding places as ambush sites. Much of this can be done quite simply in shopping centres now, so you will ready when you 'cross over'.

Also, simple groaning isnt really enough, morse groaning would be more effective - public toilets havegood harmonics, ideal for a couple of trainees to get in there and start some serious groaning action.

Weaponry - the basic weapon of each zombie is its teeth, so why not change them for some heavy duty tungsten jobbies now, will save much disappointment after the cataclysm.

Think about it guys, after all, zombies are people too, sort of......

Pete

Sent via tapatalk, from my bunker under my bed. Shhhh. Someones coming up the stairs.

Back