Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

puncture repair kit

Excellent bit of kit!!!

I have a similar one and (I know I shouldnt) use it on my van as often pick up nails / screws from building sites!

less than a minute to repair a puncture from a nail / screw

Andy

I have one of those but have never used it so it's nice to know that type of thing works :D

Does that lot self-vulcanise? I got a Tech Tire Repair kit a while back, and have had to use it in anger in Botswana when I picked up hole in a sidewall on the way to Savuti, and it did a great job, vulcanising the plug and the wall. Really useful bit of kit in an emergency.

If the ARB one self-vulcanises, I'd be keen on replacing the tube of activator in mine. But I see Tech Tire on on the web, so I may be able to get the bits on-line ;)

The joys of t'internet!

Does the kit come with instructions on how to use it or is it so blindly obvious that they aren't required?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are quite good to use, bit of effort required though.
We used to have them on board for agricultural repairs and were always told that they are illegal for road vehicles use even if you conform to the regulations about what should or shouldn't be repaired.
Fantastic for emergency situations though.

what kind of puncture can they fix?
If out greenlaning, what are the chances of getting a nice round hole to repair?
The one and only puncture I have had is a gash on the the sidewall which is unrepairable in any case. But, assuming the gash was on the surface of the tyre? Would it still work?

For the cost, handy to have and get you out of a situation though.

Crispin said:
what kind of puncture can they fix?

Not the kind that happen to Dunflops :mrgreen:

The plugs are quite soft, so they get distorted to fill the hole, even if the hole isn't uniformly round. Of course, if you have a 3inch cut, then you need a spare tyre, not a puncture repair kit!

BTW I have also heard that "plugging" tyres is illegal/not allowed in the UK. Better to be able to recover home and then worry about the legalities... :?

Cheers,

That one is a liitle beyond this kit i'm afraid, what did you do? Go charging through some deep water after a load of other cruisers and hit some submerged old bits of LR or something ;) ;) ;)

think it was a family of landrovers in the water :)
Was the flint at Salisbury plain - myself and Tommo (IIRC) got a puncture in the same place. Was just a normal lane...

Is repairing tyres with a plug illegal? It's as old as ever though. :evil:
Is a tube the required thing now?

Why is it that tyre fitters can repair tyres and we cant? Do they have some sort of licence or do they use a different method?

I'm guessing because they have a code they "should" work too. Like grind the inside of the tyre (They did it on mine each time in SA)
Maybe the government has deemed us too stupid to do these things.

Tyre repairs is a grey area. The methods and materials used by the proper places are approved but most are not properly trained in their use, and normally just err on the side of caution. This is more just to sell you a new tyre though.
I used to do tyre repair as part of my job and was amazed how simple it was. The grinding is just for the adhesive to bind to.

I'm sure you could do your own on your own vehicle as you could plead ignorance.

Crispin said:
Maybe the government has deemed us too stupid to do these things.
My local tyre fitter decided to jack my Landcruiser on the chassis rather than on the axle and said that his jack was too small and so they had to turn me away :shock:
If he can repair my tyre then i don't see why i cant :roll:

I think its more that the kit listed at the start of the thread is not approved rather than not doing it yourself.

I see so an approved kit would inevitably be more expensive. Would anyone know how these kits are approved and where to get them?

Legalities aside, they are very easy to use, as I said I have used regularly on nails / screws & the like
but not on side walls or 3" gashes!!!

Obviously I have never used them on a tyre for the road :D :lol:

pull out offending nail / screw

push (bash) in the hole, the reamer & pull up & down, round & round to roughen up the inside of the hole

thread one of the sticky long strip things through the eye of the other tool 1/2 way

apply a liberal coating of the rubber solution (like you get with cycle repair kits) to this

pull out the reamer

Push in the second tool with the sticky plug until about 1/2" of sticky plug still showing

pull out the tool which leaves the plug in place

Bingo! Puncture repaired

I must add that ive always done it on an inflated tyre, ie not completely flat, probably done about 10 - 15 of them and so far a 100% sucess rate

Andy

Got one. Why - Oh come on!

Handy for quad bike tyre repair too. Or trailer. But I have OKO sealant in all my tyres and never get punctures. Probably never use it, but I know it's there. I know someone who did use one and then when they tyre came off to be replaced, had a look at the inside and it was completely sealed. Tyre man said it was a good fix.

Chris

Back