Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees Trip May 2013

Steve10

Hi

I'm planning a trip to the Pyrenees in the middle two weeks of May. I've read the write ups on here from other members who have been to the Pyrenees in the last couple of years which were very interesting and a source of inspiration to organise my own trip based on the road books by Vibraction, probably a mixture of RB1,3 & 5.

A couple of questions to those who have been in May time, what was the weather like in terms of temperature ranges and rainfall and did you encounter much snow higher up?

My main concern is that we may encounter problems with the snow above 2,000 metres.

Thanks for any help

Steve

I think its quite likely there might be still snow up there. Although JonW's group were ok and didn't encounter snow when they went end-May/early June 2011, i was out there in mid-late June same year

I am sure another group - might have been devon4x4 went in May that year and encountered snow drifts blocking the trail on day 1 of RB1 between Vilamos and Baguergue

RB1 is the most likely to be affected by snow - since the trails are pretty high and several go through ski centres, and parts of RB3 too.

Great trip recommend it, very pretty area, though there was no snow there at Christmas, get down to San Sebastian for a fish supper if you can. Wonderful.

I have a snowball fight on RB3 in July 2010.
Came access plenty of drifts but all passable and some good muddy bits. The days were warm/hot but high camp sites were very cold at night with a frost some mornings. Lowest temp was -3.7 one night.

I am going in 2 weeks time to try and do it in the winter be fun eh.

IMG_1389_zps2e44af4a.jpg

IMG_1386_zpsb51acbe1.jpg

IMG_1381-1_zps68ef1ac5.jpg

I will do a full report if amd when we get back

Mal

Hi

Thanks for the replies chaps, very helpful. It sounds like it's do-able just need to be a bit careful higher up the mountains and camp lower down. I will probably try to avoid the higher parts of RB1 and RB3 then to be on the safe side as it's just us at the moment.

Mal, hope your trip goes well, good luck with the snow, should be great fun!

Tedsalad - thanks for the heads up on San Sebastian, had a very good couple of the nights there in October last year:thumbup:

cheers chaps

Steve

Still Worth seeing how it is when you get there Steve, the snow may be gone. And the higher trails were the highlight for me - nice climbs and brilliant views. We camped in valleys too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back