Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Question for the South African members

Bob

Supporter
Country Flag
ireland
Just a simple question..I'm headed over to Cape Town at the end of next week through work, but will have a bit of free time here and there. One thing I want to do is visit Maitland cemetery, where I have a relative buried.. Wondering if it's advisable or not to rent a car? I'm presuming CT is far safer than JoBurg for pootling around. Would be easier and cheaper than taxis for the limited time I have.

Yes, Rent a car. I wouldn't bother with public transport. That and Taxi's aren't that easy to find. Uber is pretty good but for the cost a rental car is the way to go.

Cape Town is awesome, just apply some common sense regarding valuables and all that...

If you need any suggestions of what to do drop me a pm.

Enjoy!

Bob, I'm not South African but have been out there twice, last time in July, so can give you a vistors perspective. Both times I rented vehicles and drove extensively. Never had any problems. Just use common sense and keep your wits about you.

I have driven in CT. Its a fairly easy city to drive in and navigate. I havent driven in Jbrg. Driving outside of the cities is great ... great roads, great driving and great views. Dont know if you have time, but if you do drive from CT to the Cape of Good Hope following the west coast of the peninsula and return via the east coast.

If you have a Garmin gps you can get free maps for South Africa from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Cant comment on other brands.

Cheers, it's what I was thinking to be honest. I've travelled a lot, and most places are that way, if you are sensible then there's no major issue. Actually driving there doesn't worry me, more the safety, but it seems OK. And for €30 for a day, it's cheap as chips to rent.

We have a very full itinerary with the crew in work, and it includes 4 days of touristy activities, including the main attractions. Will have free evenings and that, for sampling the best food on offer, and perhaps a beer or two!

Back