Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Radiator Replacement - Other jobs?

chapel303

Country Flag
uk
Hey guys,

Mate and I were installing my winch today and looked at my radiator, its basically looks like the Grand Canyon with massive gaps, so that needs replacing.

It's a '92 12V 1HDT, there's also an awful squealing for the first 2min the wagon fires up so I was planning on doing belts and pulleys anyway before I saw the non-existent radiator, while there I wanted to do water pump and thermostat. Any other jobs people would recommend?

water pump (or at least its bolts). Checkout harmony balancer while you have a look look from top and underneath. Bearing on fanbelt tensioner

Any oil leaks from front oil seal? Do that whilst you're at is as the Rad has to come out to do it. You'll need a big torque wrench and pulley locking tool.....that nut is TIGHT!

Anyone have any experience with the Nissens radiator from roughtrax?

I fitted one about 10 months ago. Seems ok so far ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
When I was working on my own car, I faced a similar situation where one thing led to another. It's like uncovering a whole checklist of tasks once you start digging in, right? If you're planning on tackling belts, pulleys, water pump, and thermostat, you're already ahead of the game. One thing I'd recommend is checking the hoses and clamps while you're in there.

Ye mate same page, I’ve got full terrain tamer hose and clamp kits good to go on. Currently deep in a steering box rebuild that is not going to plan but the hope is radiator and belts this weekend.

Anyone have any experience with the Nissens radiator from roughtrax?
I did a bit of google ‘research’ into these and the published consensus across other vehicle forums was that quality is noticeably lower than OEM and they last 3-5 years on average. Nothing specific to the LC80 though, so Jon’s opinion of greater value.

My only concern is I don’t really want to have to replace the radiator again…

Alright guys, back again. I’m struggling to get the nuts off the viscous fan clutch, please see the photo (mates wagon not mine, mine are in a significantly worse state). It just keeps turning which doesn’t allow me to get enough power to break them. I’ve used loads of different sprays etc soaked it over night and all that for a few days now, none of them are working to loosen it. Can only get a spanner down there, I’ve used screw drivers to hold it in place, x2 12mm spanner’s but they still won’t crack.

I don’t want to use heat, I can’t get a wrench down there with nut removal sockets. So as a Hail Mary, does anyone have any other suggestions to keep it in place while I try not to snap or round off anything anymore than I have already.

As a note, someone has been in there and not done the next person (me) any favours. The exposed thread is different on all of the bolts so they weren’t torqued properly, I reckon someone just sent it to Valhalla when tightening them.

b7d9fc7c-9b4e-4f99-8f93-bad7fa402621.jpeg

They can be an absolute git to get off. I use a long pry bar, or another spanner to brace the fan so it can’t turn. That usually allows me to get enough breaking force on the nuts. I always use a decent ring spanner so as to not risk rounding the nuts. If necessary, get an extension on the spanner and the’ve always broken free.

They can be an absolute git to get off. I use a long pry bar, or another spanner to brace the fan so it can’t turn. That usually allows me to get enough breaking force on the nuts. I always use a decent ring spanner so as to not risk rounding the nuts. If necessary, get an extension on the spanner and the’ve always broken free.
I’ve borrowed some decent spanner’s from work and I’ve got an extender on order so I’ll see how it goes on the next attempt. Failing that I’ll try everything out through the front which will be a pain. Or I’ll just cut the stupid thing off and replace it, new pump has bolts, will just need a new fan clutch and nuts.

Just took a look at mine and decided a crowbar to jam and the tube handle from my jack over the halfords socket ratchet (my handy adjustable length breaker bar lol) would snap the thread if it didn't shift the nut .

Cheers guys. Seems every battle I have with this wagon has to do with seized bits. Looking at its history it did sit for a pretty long period before I picked it up but I’m clutching at straws to make up for my inability to crack nuts off that and I’ve sheared so many now I’ve lost count.

Cheers guys. Seems every battle I have with this wagon has to do with seized bits. Looking at its history it did sit for a pretty long period before I picked it up but I’m clutching at straws to make up for my inability to crack nuts off that and I’ve sheared so many now I’ve lost count.

I had the same with my previous 80. I now make it standard practice to always replace every nut, bolt, or stud I remove for the first time with new. I only want to have the battle once!

I had the same with my previous 80. I now make it standard practice to always replace every nut, bolt, or stud I remove for the first time with new. I only want to have the battle once!
Did you just get a load from Toyota or amayama? I’m planning to do the same.

Back