Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ratchet Straps

dunk1

Country Flag
great_britain
Just been searching the net for some of these as we are shipping
a classic race car to Philip Island in a container.

Some places are over £20 for a decent strap !!

I found this place www.safetlyliftingear.com who have lots of different length and strenght straps.

8m x 50mm x 5000kg for £7 each + vat

Attachments

• 5t-m-b-s--ratchet-lashing-chassis-hooks.jpg
    5t-m-b-s--ratchet-lashing-chassis-hooks.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 117
I used to pay £7 fot the ones i would use on the lowloader and they would hold a triaxle coach fine. used to go to the hgv motor factors they get through loads and they are cheap. just buy lots. if you are tieing a car down buy 4off with the wheel straps and then 1 for the front and another for the back minimum.
stu

I wouldn't worry too much about how much they are, you don't want to end up like this do you? :wtf:

http://youtu.be/38jDQkkaxT8

Wasn't worried about the cost but why pay treble more if you don't have to :) the main concern was quality, i don't look for the cheap alernitives but came across this place and you get top quality for a third of the price so its a win win situation :)

Just thought i'd post this up as useful info for anyone needing good quality straps

Last edited:
Wasn't worried about the cost but why pay treble more if you don't have to :)

Just thought i'd post this up as useful info for anyone needing good quality straps

True, and you'll probably find that the cheaper ones are as good quality as the expensive! It's all about mark-up and turnover.

I used to pay £7 fot the ones i would use on the lowloader and they would hold a triaxle coach fine. used to go to the hgv motor factors they get through loads and they are cheap. just buy lots. if you are tieing a car down buy 4off with the wheel straps and then 1 for the front and another for the back minimum.
stu

It will be lashed down properly :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The link doesnt work, so cant see what the straps are like.

Its not possible to tell from that photo, but the important element for any strap is the safety ratio.

At £7.00 I suspect it will simply state a maximum breaking weight ie 3 tonnes etc?

Once it turns up, post a photo of the blue label.

After all, what could go wrong with a cheap ratchet made in China :icon-cool:

They are all made by the same company anyway usually .

Anyone notice something very suspicious in this vid ?

The only thing that I can see that might be considered suspicious is the lack of registration plates, but I don't know the process of cars being permanently exported from Japan.

Just re-read the original post, and you state 5000kg.

Thats the equivalent of a 715kg British Standard strap, so when comparing prices thats what you have to compare with, not a 5000kg Brit Standard strap.

So you need to know the weight of the classic race car, then work out how many cheapo straps you need - the more the merrier.

In the case of straps, its not price thats the issue, its quality of the strap, many so called 'recovery' straps are downright dangerous, but the vendor gets away with it because its for non-commercial use and the regs dont apply.

The quality of the ratchet itself also needs some scrutiny, you need to ensure that small repetitive movements dont cause the strap to slip within the ratchet, again, quality is the key.

If you are insuring the car for the journey, check the insurance companies requirements, as those straps arent industry standard.

And if the label shows they are industry standard, I apologise, and they are indeed a bargain :icon-biggrin:

Cheers

Pete

Hi

Thanks for the link.

I watched the video, and they look like a decent tie-down strap, if they are the ones he showed in the video you cant go wrong for £7.00 ea.

They have an EN number displayed, so they have been tested for certain tasks (in this case going over a load), personally I would still use the 715kg as a divider, and ensure that there are sufficient for the weight of the vehicle, but thats personal choice.

Cheers

Pete

They are all made by the same company anyway usually .

Anyone notice something very suspicious in this vid ?

That silver pick-up ramming from right to left, at times it looked as though the front wheels were moving as though steering, and apart from the small truck not one vehicle seemed to have the handbrake applied. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The video (of the ship) - when cars are permanently exported from Japan they must have the registration removed.

Maritime law is really odd - the cargo isnt the responsibility of the ship owner and you must take out your own policy, but...if the ship sinks, the owners of the cargo have a financial liability to contribute toward the value of the ship! So you have insurance for that as well.

Having a load on a deck unsecured like that is shockingly bad, every vehicle should have been tied down (using a proper system for calculating load rating of straps!) and secured, looking at the conditions it was bound to happen - certainly the crew would be aware of the risks, but as its a Russion ship......

Pete

You got it Chas who parks cars on a ship without applying the handbrake , also there is no evidence tyres were ever in direct contact with the deck so they were either parked on ice (which seems very unlikely) or moved while aboard so the ice rink could completely freeze . My guess is the owner of the vehicles paid the Captain NOT to strap then down .

Back