Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Re-attaching a rusty worn rear bump stop

MisterCruiser

Country Flag
ireland
The rear bump stop rubber bushing fell off of my cruiser due to the metal fixing point rusting away, is there an easy way to reattach these?

Is yours a 4 door 95 ? if so i think they have 2 bump stops either side one squarish one on the axle and another cone shaped on inside your spring so it's not a job that demands attention as it were i think many would just do without it .

Last edited:
I found that I was missing one when I bought my '95', what was left looked like this:

DSCN5142.jpg

The other side was about to let go so I removed it.

DSCN5146.jpg

They are held on by a single 8mm set screw and once I had heated the mounting and carefully removed the old sets the threads were fine and new ones bolted straight on.

There are about three different designs of bump stop so check that you are ordering the correct one.

I also have the rubber cones in the rear springs, but when I removed the springs I found that the one the side that was missing the bump stop had broken.

DSCN5270.jpg

I suspect that relying on the rubber cone alone is likely to overload the rear springs if (like me) you tow heavy loads and/or carry a lot of people and equipment.

Bob.

My model is actually a 2door 1997 model, I updated my profile to state this. The model we drive should appear under our username to aid people replying to threads so you can see at a glance what model the person you're trying to help has. Good Pictures there Bob, That's the way mine fell off exactly, that rusty bolt is left in place. How do you actually bolt the new one on though, is there a hole in the bottom of the rubber that lets you fit a socket extension bar the whole way up? If there is then that clears the issue up for me.

I wouldnt be overly bothered about it being missing but the Doe in Ireland here mentioned it on the fail sheet :icon-rolleyes:
I still have the old on, but might just order a new one due to the rust, cheers for the heads up on the various different ones, would have assumed they were all the same. :)

Yes - they have a hole up the centre that allows a socket to be used (I used 8mm sets with 13mm heads, I've no idea why Toyota insist on using 8mm bolts with hollow-crown 12mm heads that just collapse when they get old :doh:).

This diagram shows the three types of bump stop . . .

RearAxleShocksSprings.jpg

Hope this helps :thumbup:.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clean both bits up and glue them back together with some PU Adhesive/TigerSeal. Then bolt back on for the test, I've done a few over time in this way. I've even made a complete replacement from a bit of wood that went through a test and as far as I'm aware is still on the vehicle. There was a chap selling new ones on ebay for £35, but I don't seem to be able to find him now :(

IMG_6626_zpseb67f498.jpg

IMG_6627_zpsc902b459.jpg

IMG_6628_zps6d1205c0.jpg

Last edited:
Lol at the bit of wood,,, :laughing-rolling: Thats gas, fair play to you on improvising! Might find me self doing that yet, £35 on ebay for i assume spurious bits of rubber seems expensive. Ill buy some tiger seal too.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Those wood screws are in for a hard time if the stops get heavily compressed :lol:.

Bob.

Back