Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ready for the road...

Tommo&Claire

Garage
For those of you who may be interested, myself, Ecky Thump and Paul depart on this years overland adventure on Friday evening. I have prepared this little post in case any of you are interested in the preps I have made to my Land Cruiser and just generally. Plenty of 80 series overland builds but not too many for the 90 series, so, see what you think? Comments/suggestions gratefully received!!

Looking splendiferous on the drive in her new decals!
DSCF0812-1.jpg

DSCF0811-1.jpg

DSCF0809-1.jpg

Mechanical

Obviously a full service!
DSCF0831.jpg

Changed the engine oil and filter, I used Fuchs Titan Semi Syn 10W40 and a genuine Toyota Filter.

Changed Air Filter, again genuine Toyota one used.

Front and rear diff oil change. I changed the rear diff oil about 12month previous but on extending my breathers I was advised that the original breather was knackered and there was a possibility that water may have gotten in there, so a full change was prudent. In fact, on draining the rear diff, the oil was still clean and translucent, so it would have been fine. Better safe than sorry!

Front Diff is a bit of a pain to get to and requires the removal of your front bash plate. Draining the diff is easy but refilling it is a pain as with the best will in the world you will struggle to get the bottle in there. This was achieved with a length of flexible tube and a mate (Cheers Paul!). The oil I used in the front was some i already had, 80W90 by Comma, but the rear requires nearly 3 litres so i ordered the upgrade option from Opie Oils and they sent me a 90S oil used for LSD and racing diffs, even though mine doesn’t have LSD it has a locker?? I queried and they assured me it was correct as long as I stay above -18 degrees C!

About 2 months ago I replaced my nearside CV, and whilst doing the diff oil we discovered a small hole in my offside CV boot. Fortunately when ordering my nearside CV, Greg (of Land Cruisers Overland) ordered a pair, so I had that put in on monday. Thus i’m now sporting two brand new Shaftech CV’s which even Greg has not managed to break yet.

Fuel Filter, mine needed replacing anyway as i had not done it in about 12 months and there is always the question mark over Common Rail Diesels and dodgy fuel. This is probably unfair but i am carrying an extra fuel filter (again genuine Toyota) and i also fitted an inline filter as recommended by Chris, a few weeks ago.

DSCF0838.jpg

ASFIR Front and centre bash plates, although despite some trying, i never actually bent the originals, i wanted the peace of mind. So despite the extortionate cost i invested in some ASFiR ones. I figured if there’s one thing the Israeli’s build well, it’s armour! They’ve been on the a year and the truck has been well used off road and they are showing only minor scuffs on them so they seem worth their money.

DSCF0813-1.jpg

Safari Snorkel, continuing with the theme of protecting the engine, the snorkel was a good option if ,again, expensive. I don’t wade really deep very much but i do frequent Salisbury Plain regularly where there is abundant water in the winter months and i have also been through Corwen Car wash a couple of times, so in all, a worthwhile purchase. Plus they look cool!

DSCF0815-1.jpg

As referred to earlier i had the breathers extended on both diffs and my gearbox. Not the cheapest kit out there, but really good quality. They now all breathe from the top of my snorkel.

DSCF0835.jpg

DSCF0816-1.jpg

Comms/Nav
Comms will be provided by mobile phones all the way to the outside world, and CB Radios will connect the two vehicles. Nav will be covered by a TomTom XXL in each vehicle, with live route updates and my trusty handheld GPS that i've had for nearly ten years. and.... shock horror, paper maps.

DSCF0827.jpg

Medical
I am the patrol medic again and am carrying my full medical kit as always. Were not exactly venturing into the empty quarter of Saudi so i’ve not gone mad, just a trauma kit for keeping people alive and then plasters and immodium.

Money
We’ll take some cash for the ferry and then stop at cash machines as required. Paul is out local expert and he assures us that money is never an issue out there.

Kit List
In no particular order! You will also notice some items of note missing. This is mainly because we didn’t want to duplicate stuff were carrying over the two vehicles. Paul is carrying all the mechanical tools for example and i’m carrying all the electrical ones (and Les of course who knows how to use them), i’m carrying the water, he’s carrying the fridge etc etc

Spare fuel filter, spare serpentine belt, gas lantern, jet boil, head torches, 2 x camp chairs, 20l diesel jerry can, 70l water bladder, 4 days 24hr ration packs, AA batteries, extra gas, maglight, led torch, 2 x camp beds, beer, bottle of 12 year old Strathisla, puncture repair kit, washer fluid, 2litres engine oil, 1 litre diff oil, duck tape, sniper tape, electronics kit, pots/pans, 2 x arctic sleeping bags, OZ tent, camp table, PS fluid...

Camping
OZ tent RV4, full camping setup, chairs table etc.

Tyres
I considered taking an extra spare as Claire has a 265/70/16 on the back of her Land Cruiser also shod in Grabber AT2s, i decided not to take it as it takes up a lot of room in the back and, as it’s on a Toyota steel rim, weighs a ton, so i don’t want it on the roof. As for the tyres themselves 265/70/16 General Grabber AT2’s with around 11mm of tread on them after around 15,000 miles. My second set, love them.

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0820-1.jpg

RoofRack
Winbo roof rack bought off ebay for 30quid. Light weight, big and strong. You can climb up there and walk around on it no problem at all. As you can see quite big enough for OZ tent, high lift jack and shovel with plenty of room to spare.

DSCF0817.jpg

DSCF0819-1.jpg

Spares
Only taking a spare serpentine belt and an extra fuel filter just in case. Paul has a few spider kits should a UJ go but can’t think of anything else appropriate.

DSCF0821.jpg

Diesel
I’m taking a 20l jerry can for emergencies but even with the 40litres extra Paul is carrying i think i still outrange the 80 by about 100miles so we can’t foresee an issue there.

Water
70l bladder kits perfectly behind the seats and will provide enough water for all of us on this trip as we will be able to top up regularly and the plan is not to touch it unless we run out of the bottled stuff you can buy everywhere!

DSCF0822.jpg

And a few pics to show the general packing arrangements and the layout of the interior. Thats pretty well fully loaded and still have loads of space yet.

DSCF0818.jpg

DSCF0828.jpg

TJM seat covers, wonderful bits of kit!

DSCF0829.jpg

And that, as they say, is that.

In 48hours we'll be on the road. :pray:

Wishing you all a very enjoyable and safe trip, your motor looks mint Tommo and I'm loving that snorkel, (it's on my list of to do next ) Have you got any tyre weld or that stuff Chris swears by that you pump in your tyres prior to getting a puncture ?

Nicely prepped Tommo. Have a fantastic trip, and don't forget we want loads of pics and details when you guys get back :dance:

Nice one. I like that 70l water bladder. Good use of space.

I'm sure your truck will perform faultlessly.

Being little morethan 48hrs away from our own departure (waiting for a visa) I know the excitement :)

I'm taking enough oil / filters for a full service on the road. Otherwise a lot of similar prep work to you

Good luck & Pls take lots of pics :)

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Trying to pack mine now :thumbup:

Dont worry about the pics, just bought an HD video camera to get it all :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey tommo, are you going to put up pics of the other stuff we have had made? :thumbup:

Looks cracking. Have a good trip! Very jealous.

Got spare fuses? Not the ordinary halfrauds variety but the special Toyota ones? Might want to strap your Oz Tent down as well :mrgreen: Have a good trip :)

Looks really good, have a good trip.

Not being familiar with 90s, is the netting inside the roof and Mr T part? If not where did you get it? We need something similar to stop our toys falling out of the 40 when we go to Spain.

Regards,

The one i use in mine is a motorbike "cargo net" that you can buy from most shops.

And, for all those who are either going on or supported the trip....

Dark blue fleece jacket with Greg and Ian's logo on the left chest, your name and the flag of your nation on the left arm, UKRAINE RECCE 2011 on the right arm and our website on the back. Plus... matching TShirt in khaki.

DSCF0842.jpg

DSCF0853.jpg

Bon voyage guys :thumbup:
and who was that said "show the 80 boys how its done" we already know ;)

Tommo, Paul, Les, have a good trip fellas.....What with Ian heading out to China and Kelv away training the matlow's I'm getting a little lonely :violin:
Guess I'd better get on with the truck sat in the corner eh
Stay safe boys :thumbup:

Trucks looking goooooood :thumbup: :mrgreen: :)

How's about a tube of 2pk metal putty :) Used it to fix a rad once :thumbup: Or rad weld/Bars stick :)

Couple of cans of tyre weld/foam :)

1/2" 'd' shackle to use as a safety lock off for the Hi-Lift :)

Have a cracking time :thumbup:

All the best, guys :thumbup: Sounds like you have the major bases covered without going OTT and hauling 1/2 a tonne of spares!
Very jealous and looking forward to tracking your progress!

You havent seen my kits list :oops:

Back