Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ready to Buy, Need Advice

RedStar

Country Flag
united_states
I've always been a Jeep guy, but I've always loved Land Cruisers. I was sideswiped a few weeks ago and my beautiful, well kept XJ was totaled. :cry: The good news is, I got a decent payout and have money for something new. I'm shaking things up and am set on getting an 80 series Land Cruiser. I've done a lot of research, but probably not enough, you guys are the experts and I was hoping you could tell me what to look for, and what to ask when I go check one out. In particular, I'm going to check this one (http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5316462556.html) out on Friday and I was hoping you could tell me what I need to look for on this particular model. Is this a fair price? The ad mentions a leaky valve cover, is that a major concern on these? Questions of that nature.

For reference, and mostly just because I was so proud of it, here's the XJ I built & lost because an idiot didn't know how to use a turn lane.

80-image_57a6fddd8c285822f77d68928d9ccb89d4f2bea0.jpg

80-image_402651213_4fc336b39392331145bbffc51651c3b79a13b26c.jpg

I'm an avid offroader and the more research I did, the more I realized that LC's, especially the 80 series, are among the finest vehicles ever produced. Thanks guys, and regardless of whether or not I get the one I linked, I'm getting one soon and looking forward to getting involved here.

Hi Red, nice truck, shame it's gone to cruiser heaven. [emoji20][emoji22]

The major thing to look for is rust underneath but I don't know if Tennessee vehicles are prone to it. Check everything works, check for history and oil changes especially. Valve cover oil leakage should be minor, look at the steering knuckles for lots of grease leaking out which may indicate seal issues although he mentions 'no birf issues'.

As for price, don't really know what it should be where you are.

Seat belts would need changing if it were in the UK but other than that seems pretty clean. If it's rust free it could be a good one.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Richard

Last edited:
First, I'm guessing an 80 would have stood up to the sideswipe better than the Jeep did, but enough of that, comiserations for losing you pride and joy RedStar.

Second, in your obvious haste to get your ass on an 80 seat, you're forgiven (by me at least) for not introducing yourself in the introduction section of the forum (others may not be so forgiving :lol:). I suggest you do though, just for the record, although you've pretty much said it all in your post:icon-biggrin:.

Third, a leaking rocker cover is probably no more than a new gasket. I have no comment on the one in the link, as a petrol 4.5 I know very little but all of the 80 series versions are fairly bomb proof, over specced and built for the apocalypse.

A generally friendly bunch here, enjoy!

Welcome!

Petrol 80's suffer from head gasket failure, so be looking for oil in the radiator and signs of overheating. here is a small hose under IIRC the inlet manifold, the American 80 owners call it the PHH or pesky heater hose, look it up and see how you go from there.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Red, nice truck, shame it's gone to cruiser heaven. [emoji20][emoji22]

The major thing to look for is rust underneath but I don't know if Tennessee vehicles are prone to it. Check everything works, check for history and oil changes especially. Valve cover oil leakage should be minor, look at the steering knuckles for lots of grease leaking out which may indicate seal issues although he mentions 'no birf issues'.

As for price, don't really know what it should be where you are.

Seat belts would need changing if it were in the UK but other than that seems pretty clean. If it's rust free it could be a good one.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Richard

Tennessee is usually really good about not having rust, that tends to start in northern Kentucky, but I'll definitely check it underneath. I'm not used to having electric lockers from the factory, that's kind of what drew me in in the first place. That would cost me $3,000 alone in my old Jeep. What exactly is "birf issues"?

First, I'm guessing an 80 would have stood up to the sideswipe better than the Jeep did, but enough of that, comiserations for losing you pride and joy RedStar.

Second, in your obvious haste to get your ass on an 80 seat, you're forgiven (by me at least) for not introducing yourself in the introduction section of the forum (others may not be so forgiving :lol:). I suggest you do though, just for the record, although you've pretty much said it all in your post:icon-biggrin:.

Third, a leaking rocker cover is probably no more than a new gasket. I have no comment on the one in the link, as a petrol 4.5 I know very little but all of the 80 series versions are fairly bomb proof, over specced and built for the apocalypse.

A generally friendly bunch here, enjoy!

Haha I tend to get overzealous, I'll definitely go post there too. If it's just a gasket, that wouldn't worry me too much. I'm not as handy as I'd like to be under the hood, but I'm getting better, and there aren't many better teachers than YouTube out there.

Welcome!

Petrol 80's suffer from head gasket failure, so be looking for oil in the radiator and signs of overheating. here is a small hose under IIRC the inlet manifold, the American 80 owners call it the PHH or pesky heater hose, look it up and see how you go from there.

regards

Dave

I'll definitely check for that too. Thanks!

Here's a better view than the craigslist ad. The guy gave me his address, I put it in Google Street view, and voilà, it appeared sitting on the street. It looks like it's in pretty good shape - at least from the pictures. One problem we suffer from down here is the heat. Couple that with humidity and a lot of the 80 series LC's you see around here have paint flaking and falling off. This one looks like it may have seen some time in a garage.

Untitledfasdf_zpsj1favufw.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back