Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Axle/ Hub rebuild

Look at it logically, what could it possibly be required to do and what would be the consequence of not having it fitted. Usually the size of the screw/bolt will give you an idea of its importance! I don't think a screw that size will do much to keep the hub on if you imagine a fully loaded truck with a 3.5 ton trailer on. I would say it more of a guide screw or removal accessory.

Very common. Almost all brake drums have one. It's useful to align the drum whilst adjusting the handbrake without the wheel on. I normally put a wheelnut on. Remember that on a disc set up, the caliper holds the disc in place when you pull the wheel off. With a drum, there's nothing holding it on but the wheel. The little grub screw means that the drum doesn't come off with the wheel. You can see the hole is countersunk to take a cheese head screw so that it's flush.

So an update for you all, finished the work on the hub and replaced the diff oil (there was little to none) had a quick drive and it felt great although the clutch bite point is now very low.

Took it to a garage for a pink slip check and it failed massively, a grand total of $3500 worth of repairs, rocket gasket leak, leaks from a hundred more places I've forgotten all of them, both front hub seals need replacing, steering damper gone, bushes deteriorated etc. Once I have the list to hand will post a full breakdown as I can't remember it all exactly but not happy.

Although they didn't mention anything about the rear hubs so at least I did something right!

It’s an old truck that’s suffered from being so well made it can survive neglect with little initial signs. It’s getting the TLC to ‘baseline’ it now. I saw something earlier today that said the 100 series was made to last 25 years in a third world country so the 60 series must be at least designed to do that standing on its head.

Anyway, it sounds like what is to be expected and once done will take everything you can throw at it.

Back