Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear axle oil seal swap

t1pper

Country Flag
uk
Found the rear axle input oil seal is spraying oil under the car, I need to swap it out for a new one.

There does not appear to be any lift on the prop so hopefully the bearing is ok.

Can I access it by removing the prop and flange enabling me to pick it out from the front?

Aside from checking the breather hose is not blocked is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Can I access it by removing the prop and flange enabling me to pick it out from the front?

Aside from checking the breather hose is not blocked is there anything I need to be aware of?

You can just undo the companion flange, remove the flange and replace the seal . . . BUT (isn't there always a 'BUT' :icon-rolleyes:).

The drive pinion runs on a pair of taper-roller bearings with a 'crush spacer' between them. The companion flange nut is torqued-up to a set figure and the running clearances and contact position of the helical teeth on the pinion and crownwheel are checked. This can only be done with the diff on the bench.

The running clearances are adjusted with shim washers until everything is right.

People do just replace the oil seal and then torque-up the nut, but be aware that with wear in the bearing and on the crownwheel and pinion teeth the clearances may be wrong.

This is currently being covered on a '90-Series' here: http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14743

The torque on the '90-Series' is 180 ft/lbs, I don't know what it is on the 100-Series, but you should aim for an accurate figure.

Bob.

Here is the 100-Series Rear Differential Parts Diagram:

Interestingly, many of the part numbers are the same as those for the 90-Series Rear Diff, which surprised me a bit :think:.

RearDifferentialampDiffLock_zps3526e28c.png

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Thanks for that, I really had to swap my seal today as it was loosing a fair amount of oil.

As the diff has been whining slightly since I purchased the car in July and I am on my second oil swap in the last few months (and it still looks horrible), I feel it has taken in some water at some stage prior to my ownership as the oil looks brown/rusty.

So I have taken a slight gamble, I replaced the seal and retorqued the old nut up to the exact same position locked it down and will now see what happens, I fear a diff swap is on the cards.

So I have taken a slight gamble, I replaced the seal and retorqued the old nut up to the exact same position locked it down and will now see what happens, I fear a diff swap is on the cards.

Let's hope it works OK, it'll be interesting to see if it has affected the crownwheel/pinion alignment.

There is another 'diff thread' in the 90-Forum - see here:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/52775-Rear-Diff-Howl-Problem

New bearings and a proper re-shim fixed that problem :thumbup:.

Bob.

Thanks for the link.

Mine seems to be noisy on the overun only, maybe it is bearings on the input as when its driving and under load the noise disappears, I assume because of this one or the other of the input bearing is noisy and when the load shifts to the worn one (ie overun) it whines.

Additionally I do have a bit of free play in the diff, dispite replacing all the back axle bushings I am still getting a slight bump when shifting from forwards to reverse.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Update.

Seal still leaking even after the seal swap.

Also the diff is still whining but no lift on the prop, however the companion flange that the seal runs on was pitted and looked a bit "scruffy", so not that much of a surprise that it leaked.

Considering a service exchange diff assembly any ideas who is worth a shout, dont think I want to attempt a rebuild of my old unit.

Back