Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Troopy axles conversion

Pachyderme80

Country Flag
switzerland
Hi there,
Still looking for my Troopy, and actually negotiating for a Hzj78 which I’ll let my mechanic make a 1hdtfe swap (with EGR delete, mechanical pump). But my question is related to the axles.
I’d like to swap the axle (among other things…gearbox) from an 80 or a 100 to this one (especially to correct rear axle length difference.) Do you know the length of both, 78 and 80?
My fear is that the 80 axle width will be too wide and can make some trouble to the technical inspection (in Switzerland) due to the fact it will exceed the width of the vehicle, in excessive percentage.

(Hope is clear enough….sorry for my bad english)

Thanks in advance

I have just installed the Jmacx track corrected axle to my Troopy, for my understanding the 80 series track is different again

I have just installed the Jmacx track corrected axle to my Troopy, for my understanding the 80 series track is different again
Nice, didn’t know this correction, I’ll
check this out, thx.
I’d like to replace both axles, front and rear. From what I heard it should be feasible and also a bit more healthy due to the swap for
a more powerful engine….but I’d like some confirmation from people who made this job and also if didn’t exceed too much the width of the car.

The 80 Series is quite a bit wider than the 70’s not sure how much wider the axles are

Just checked the dimensions for rear axles.. 80 rear 1360mm and newer 70 rear 1220mm

This is the measurement from backing plate to backing plate.. the hubs and disc setup is the same on both..

People talk a lot about the rear axle width issue the troopy. Andrew St P-W talks about it all the time. But he talks more than he travels!
Conversion is quite a big job I think. Not sure it’s really necessary.
The factory set up may not be (theoretically) ideal but in my opinion it’s never actually affected anything I wanted to do in the truck.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
After my post earlier, it got me wondering.. So what is the difference in width between the front and rear of the wider fronted 70 series?

After my post earlier, it got me wondering.. So what is the difference in width between the front and rear of the wider fronted 70 series?
95mm
IMG_1495.png

People talk a lot about the rear axle width issue the troopy. Andrew St P-W talks about it all the time. But he talks more than he travels!
Conversion is quite a big job I think. Not sure it’s really necessary.
The factory set up may not be (theoretically) ideal but in my opinion it’s never actually affected anything I wanted to do in the truck.
Looking at the age of your Troopy (pre 2007 face lift) the axle track should be the same on yours

Looking at the age of your Troopy (pre 2007 face lift) the axle track should be the same on yours
Oh was it only an issue on the post 2007 when they introduced the v8 engine?

Looking at this spec doc from Toyota I think pre 2007 also had different axle tracking.

IMG_1239.png

As Far as I’m aware, the older model with round headlight's both the front and rear axles had the same track. The issue was when Toyota increased the front chassis width to accommodate the V8 engine changing the front axle track, this is when the front wings were changed and square headlights Installed.

When you consider this.. if you fit an 80 rear axle (case) to a post 2007 70 series... the rear would be 22.5mm per side wider on the rear..

If you leave it as stock the front is 47.5mm wider per side...

I think that having a slightly wider track on the rear is more desirable than vice versa.

Just a thought...

Back