Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear brake light problem

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
I've just replaced the nearside rear brake light. The one I took out was blue so wasn't expecting any issues after replacing it.

However.....the rear light (5w?) part works but the brake function (21w) doesn't light. The offside works fine and I've tried two bulbs so I can't think its a problem with the bulb.

Is this a standard broken wire/bad earth on the 21w circuit problem or is there some other Toyota science that I should be aware of? I haven't checked any fuses as I can't believe they would be individually fused and I haven't noticed anything else stop working.

Cheers.
Paul.

Try swapping bulbs side to side if you do not have a MM, this will expose the faulty 'new' bulbs that many have found coming from China.

regards

Dave

Also check the bulb is in the right way round and well seated as sometimes they can stick. Apologies but starting with the simple things first.

The spring loaded connector in the bulb holder can stick sometimes, causing intermittent failure, or maybe there's some oxidisation on the connector to the back of the bulb.

I wouldn't rule out separate fusing either, but I'm certainly no 80 auto-electrician.

The spring loaded connector in the bulb holder can stick sometimes, causing intermittent failure, or maybe there's some oxidisation on the connector to the back of the bulb.

I wouldn't rule out separate fusing either, but I'm certainly no 80 auto-electrician.

They can also be bent too far back if the bulb gets inserted the wrong way round and not spring back again enough to touch the bulb when put in the right way. It can sometimes cause a fuse to blow if really unlucky, though I think the 80 has only one brake fuse as this drops out the auto gear release if blown.

Last edited:
In the spirit of tying up loose ends....my problem was that I had two duff bulbs straight out of the packet. They looked fine but failed a continuity test with my multimeter. What were the odds of that?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In the spirit of tying up loose ends....my problem was that I had two duff bulbs straight out of the packet. They looked fine but failed a continuity test with my multimeter. What were the odds of that?

Unfortunately, IMO the odds of that happening appear to be increasing, as more dodgy parts are being sold under other more reputable manufacturers' names these days.

Glad it turned out simple in the end, if not a bit frustrating at the time...

You'll be off to Toyota for bulbs then lol. I have yet to replace any bulbs on my 20 year old 80.

Back