Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff lock.

warrenpfo

Am I right in saying that he rear diff lock sensor, the one that tells me if the diff lock has engaged or not is very similar in action to a door light sensor. By that I mean a small spring loaded plunger that when engaged either goes out or in to then tell me on the dash as the light goes solid red when engaged.

The reason I ask is I am sure my rear diff is working as I can hear the rear actuator when I turn the switch but the light does not go solid no matter how mush I try on a gravel car park to get it to lock.

The reason I think its engaging is because on jacking up one side of the rear and engaging low range and the read diff with the car in neutral I can’t turn the wheel in the air...hence I think the rear diff has engaged.

Next is to remove the switch and just wanted to ask how it works.

Yes it's just a little ball switch that the end of the locking fork pushes in when locked and is out when unlocked.

Thanks Jon, is it something that i can just unscrew not having to worry and make sure the "ball" moves and the light goes solid not having to worry, so long as the car stays stationary.

I can't remember for sure if the switch is high enough up the casing to take out without losing a bit of diff oil but eye it up with respect to the fill plug and if needs be jack that side up a bit. Other than a bit of an oil spill there is nothing to fear from taking the switch off.

Thank you sir for your words of wisdom as always much appreciated.

Warren, With the one wheel in the air you wont be able to turn the wheel regardless if the centre diff is locked or the rear is locked. The way to try the rear locker is to lock it jack back end off the floor then se if both wheels turn the same way. Am i right with that comment jon? On my 100 the rear locker light flashes and it sounds like the locker works but i have yet to test it. I have a feeling it doesnt.
karl

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you can usualy rotate an unlocked wheel back and forth a little (with the hand brake off of course :mrgreen: ) and not at all when locked but you need to feel both states to be sure it's not just a binding handbrake. Both wheels off the ground and checking they both turn the same way is pretty conclusive and also an easy way to be sure there's enough motion to allow the locker to engage.

Back