Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear diff locker wasnt engaging and a tap to help it along!!

stevoyorke

[attachment=0:qdlid1ts]photo.JPG5.JPG[/attachment:qdlid1ts]i bought a new rear diff lock as my one wasnt engaging at best of times and had to tap it a few times to get it to engage, no way i was gonna dive into mud to tap away to engage so got a new one, fitted it, much better. i had trouble removing the top two mounting bolts to the axle on the old actuator being well stuck in place and not much headroom to work in. With a hammer and a screw driver i managed to turn the bolts.
on stripping the old unit, i was surprised it was actually in excellent condition for its age(16 yrs!), and then found the actual problem which seems to be commonly mentioned in the forum being the motor magnet coming loose in the housing, so i thought i would post some pics.
i forget a little on re posistioning the mechanism in place, maybe one or two of you know, but other wise looks straight forward this job repairing with epoxy glue and a clean up and reseal and its good to go again as a spare i guess.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 229
  • photo.JPG1.JPG
    photo.JPG1.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 208
  • photo.JPG2.JPG
    photo.JPG2.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 205
  • photo.JPG3.JPG
    photo.JPG3.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 213
  • photo.JPG4.JPG
    photo.JPG4.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 213
  • photo.JPG5.JPG
    photo.JPG5.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 202
Just found the same problem with my 70. Took the motor apart and 3 of the magnets loose in the motor housing.
Hopefully fix it using a spare motor housing off an actuator with bad alloy corrosion but has a good motor.

I removed the stabilizer bar from above the locker first, and there is loads of room to work and get a decent grip on all the bolts. Its takes about 20min but worth the extra hassle.

Back