Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear drawer system

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Tasty. I could make that, I guess, but as we always say, the time is in the design. Bashing it up isn't difficult, but measuring and thinking is a big old job. Makes the price look more reasonable doesn't it. No?

Chris

so if the African Outback drawers don't use expensive sliders or linear bearings then why are they so expensive? Even if they go for fancy bearings its not going to cost allot.

Thats the ones i have, let me know if you want measurements.

Because it is a capitalist economy. To us residents of this little island, things like that are shiny baubles of delight and therefore subject to excessive profiteering and taxation. Metal frame, rollers, wooden carpet covered tops and two drawers - a thousand pounds. It's nuts isn't it.

Chris

Chaps,

As promised but late as usual... Pics of the Rugged Trails drawer system placed (not fixed yet) in the back of my wagon.

The lids are bolted onto the side frames using rivnuts and allen bolts. The roller drawer sliders are double extenders and riveted or bolted (both methods used on each runner for some reason) to the sides. The rest of the frames are riveted and made from 16swg (ish) galv sheet steel. There are a couple of stress cracks appearing at the folds. The top is 12mm ply covered in carpet and bolted down through tin top of the drawers.

The simple roller bearing set up of the Africas looks far more sturdy and robust. :cry: Oh well.

12052010178.jpg

12052010179.jpg

12052010180.jpg

12052010181.jpg

12052010183.jpg

Hope this helps...

Hmm. Didn't think of using two sets of drawer sliders. Yes, that does help.

Nice one.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm glad I made my own now :o

The more ironmongery there is in the back of the truck, the more it rattles...... and I hate rattles.

Is that why you throw then out of your pram then Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh come one. If you can't take a joke....

I'll get my coat.

Chris

Chris said:
Is that why you throw then out of your pram then Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh come one. If you can't take a joke....

I'll get my coat.

Chris
Rattle and Dummy are still firmly in my pram Chris :D

BTW, would sir like a dictionary for Christmas ;) :lol:

Oh just you wait until there is a typo in one of your posts. The hole World will know about it.

Yes, hole - it's irony. :D

I have a Thesaurus too. But unfortunately big fingers hence the tpyos.

Smart Alec

Chris

I must admit, I feared there would be rattles from the drawers, but I have been pleasantly surprised. The drawers are lined with carpet and the the plywood top ties it together well. The PO had a couple of load tie down racking spars across as well so that would brace it further. They also did at least 6000 miles down through Europe and African before they rolled the truck - and the drawers are still sound.

The lack of fixing down on mine (hopefully temporary but need to design a quick is release system so I can put the seats back in without destroying the whole back end if need be) has not caused any rattles and I expect that tying it in will only serve to keep it rattle free.

I expect with a bit of sensible engineering any African Outback copies with some springs or polymer lining of the runner would achieve the same.

Sorry to try to pull it back onto topic ;)

Hi, Has anyone got a picture of the African Outback drawer runner & also what is the thickness of the steel they use for the outer frame?

Thanks Dave.

OK, its a race for space :lol:

Just had a look on the OA website, lots of idea's there.

Had a quick scope - could do with a few better photos on the drawers from some one...

if its African OutBack then no worries, let me know what pics you need and i'll take them.

Might be easier if you see them for real.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Back