Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear drum removal problems

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Right, next job next problem!

Next job is to refurb the rear drum brakes and replace pads. Unfortunately I can't get the drum off. I have released the hand brake and removed that little screw, and there is a bit of movement but I can't remove the drum. I have tried to use the M8 holes but the rust has got to them and they have rounded so no use.

Any thoughts? What is inside binding, presumably the brake shoes? Is there any way of releasing them from the outside?

ps. The brake hoses are being replaced at the moment so there is no pressure in the brake system to make the brake shoes stick.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

N

Do you have an adjuster for the brake shoes?...wind it right off, iv had many rear drums that wont come off... Hammers and Levers always worked..... Brake shoe springs and retaining pins break and fall inside and can jam things up.. But 9 times out of ten its just the shoes binding... 'Use Agro!'

Shoes fold sideways jamming i think so squirty lube on off on off effort finally moved it for me .

Like Higgy says you have to back the adjuster right off, also the drum gets a ridge on the inside that stops it coming off you need to take the ridge off when you refit the drum

thanks guys, managed to sort it. Not sure if i'm posting this through pride or shame but this is how I got it off - It was the only way I could grab onto the drum with any reasonable force. I didn't expect it to work for one minute but there we go

Screenshot 2020-01-10 at 13.27.32.png

I thought i had backed off the adjuster, but turns out i what I thought was the spring wasn't the spring, so in actual fact I wasn't backing off anything, and I ended up pulling it off with the pads still in contact with the drum. Now i've seen inside i'll know for next time

Still she's off and thats what counts!

Thanks chaps.

N

No Shame in that Nick.. What ever works.. I got so angry trying to remove the drums on my Project 80 I got the biggest Hammer i could lift and more or less smashed the drums Off.... What ever works Mate!. I bet that gravels nice on 'yer' knees..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back