Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear end sway

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
hello every one again
recently either im going mad or im looking for faults on my lc90.
When ever i turn a corner think its a right turn i keep thinking my car is axle twisting and got a strange vibration noice at the rear that sounds like a metal vibration.
Imagine your jack in the rear corner stowed away but loose as thats what im getting .
I have been under my car to find the fault but every thing seems fine but its noticeable to me anyway.
I have removed every item out the car yet still does it when im driving but not on smooth roads.

ANY ONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS FEELING OR VIBRATION

P,s last time i had this feeling one of my axel brackets had snapped and had to replace at a cost excess £800 plus for axle and new parts

Start with the usual suspects:

Propshaft Universal Joints (UJs) - when turning there is activity within the differentials, this could be getting back through the transmission if there is play anywhere.

Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushes + Transverse control arm (Panhard Rod) bushes. play in these will cause axle movement.

Wear in the axle differentials - is there an excessive amount of free rotation in the propshaft(s) ?

Body Mounts - are they all tight, no corroded mounts ??

Stick to the simple things before worrying about potential major issues.

Bob.

Start with the usual suspects:

Propshaft Universal Joints (UJs) - when turning there is activity within the differentials, this could be getting back through the transmission if there is play anywhere.

Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushes + Transverse control arm (Panhard Rod) bushes. play in these will cause axle movement.

Wear in the axle differentials - is there an excessive amount of free rotation in the propshaft(s) ?

Body Mounts - are they all tight, no corroded mounts ??

Stick to the simple things before worrying about potential major issues.

Bob.
thanks for your reply bob but only thing i noticed was oil or grease on the propshaft were it goes from high to low level but may have been there forever .

so replace all rear bushes so im not imagineing it then

If it is just a noise I had the rear door check strap mechanism come loose on mine once and it made a hell of a clonk. Obviously wouldn't cause a vibration though.

All as above on this issue. However, I would pay special attention to the panhard rod end bushings and the mounting at each end, to the chassis and to the axle, checking for cracks in the brackets that might not be immediately visible.

The mention of the "lose jack" symptoms, suggests to me that the body mounts may be suspect. It's already been mentioned, but by reference to Ben's recent post, he found that almost all of his body mounts on his LJ were damaged one way or another. If you're getting body mount movement due to cracks in the metalwork or failed mount bushes, then this may explain the vibration noises you're getting.

For sure, UJs and in your case on the 90 the cardan joint (a double UJ joint) can indeed cause vibrations. The actions of the rear diff (or the front) could be manifesting themselves as vibrations, so check for undue free-play in the diff propshaft shafts and the shaft bearing where it enters each diff.

Doors and tailgates do produce a lot of noise, you've only got to drive a few km with the door(s) not closed properly to appreciate the noise and vibration that could come from a badly fitting door or misaligned door-stop furniture components.

The rear ambulance type doors on my 80 are very prone to squeaks and rattles, and I have to do annual preventative/corrective work on the rubber slam bushes every year to keep everything ship-shape, rattle and vibration free.

Interested to hear how this pans out after your investigations.

If it is just a noise I had the rear door check strap mechanism come loose on mine once and it made a hell of a clonk. Obviously wouldn't cause a vibration though.

it is just a noise but sounds like a vibration as i cant feel it just hear it at the rear of the car .will check that out and let you no as what ever it is its part of the car .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
All as above on this issue. However, I would pay special attention to the panhard rod end bushings and the mounting at each end, to the chassis and to the axle, checking for cracks in the brackets that might not be immediately visible.

The mention of the "lose jack" symptoms, suggests to me that the body mounts may be suspect. It's already been mentioned, but by reference to Ben's recent post, he found that almost all of his body mounts on his LJ were damaged one way or another. If you're getting body mount movement due to cracks in the metalwork or failed mount bushes, then this may explain the vibration noises you're getting.

For sure, UJs and in your case on the 90 the cardan joint (a double UJ joint) can indeed cause vibrations. The actions of the rear diff (or the front) could be manifesting themselves as vibrations, so check for undue free-play in the diff propshaft shafts and the shaft bearing where it enters each diff.

Doors and tailgates do produce a lot of noise, you've only got to drive a few km with the door(s) not closed properly to appreciate the noise and vibration that could come from a badly fitting door or misaligned door-stop furniture components.

The rear ambulance type doors on my 80 are very prone to squeaks and rattles, and I have to do annual preventative/corrective work on the rubber slam bushes every year to keep everything ship-shape, rattle and vibration free.

thanks for your reply bob and were you say check for cracks were the chassis meet the axel i did see wot looked like old rust cracking on a tube like pole were it met the chassis but felt solid .
is this a weld job or just were and tear after all was just over 12mths ago it was all undersealed.
will try get pics later to show all.

were are the panhard rod end bushings located and are there any pics on how to change them.

were are the panhard rod bushings located and any pics to show how to replace.

MODVRS your spot on as just opened my rear door and banged it with my hand and bingo there is the noise i keep hearing so one less thing to worry about.

Cool! Four years on the forum and first time I've called it right.

Sounds like the wiper motor is the problem as thats were the noise is.thanks anyway and congrats on ur first puzzle solve.:*)

Hi Tony. I would also take your spare off of the door and check the bolts for the wheel carrier are tight as well. I had a knock from the door and as well as the wiper motor found the carrier bolts loose. Took them out and refitted with a small drop of Loctite and noise now gone.

Hi Tony. I would also take your spare off of the door and check the bolts for the wheel carrier are tight as well. I had a knock from the door and as well as the wiper motor found the carrier bolts loose. Took them out and refitted with a small drop of Loctite and noise now gone.

thanks steve and will try and sort it tmw as now i no were its at least comming from.

looks like the famous. landcruiser rust as taken another victim in the form of a bracket pole that runs from chassis to chassis or left to right .
got it checked today and got told dont do any off rd driving as it has a crack on the drivers side and looks like the culprit for my rear end axel sway .getting it welded asap but exhaust will have to come off as its just over the back box.

looks like the famous. landcruiser rust as taken another victim in the form of a bracket pole that runs from chassis to chassis or left to right .

That sounds like the Panhard Rod to me :eusa-whistle:.

DSCN5117.jpg

Bob.

Isn't it more likely the tubular cross member that runs from one chassis rail to the other (marked in red on Bob's photo below)... sorry for nicking your photo Bob...

IMG_6738.JPG

Back